When I saw this idea by the FABULOUS Jill of Homemade by Jill, I knew that I had to somehow make it a part of Gavin’s birthday party. In my wildest dreams I am almost as amazing as Jill. This woman can do it all, and she does. There is a small part of me that worries that my whole blog will become an echo of hers as I want to make everything she posts and repost it here. Maybe I will create a new blog. A, “Look What Jill Made Now!!” blog . . . okay, now I sound like a stalker . . .
So, I knew that I had to make crayons that thematically worked with Gavin’s birthday party. I really really wanted to find baseball bat molds, because I thought they would be the most crayon like shape. Seriously, could someone make a bat mold?? I ended up going with these little baseball guys. I bought 4 molds, which was probably two molds too many. It takes time to melt the wax, so I didn’t really need that many molds.
I bought this big box of crayons at a store that shall not be named with a 40% off coupon, only to find that they are a little cheaper without a coupon at Target.
On my first go with this, I just grabbed a bunch of orange and went for it . . . only to find after they were all melted and poured that I had missed some orange . . . So on the second go (yes, yes, I did this not once but twice), I separated all the colors before I started.
This process, the seperating of the colors, caused me a ridiculous amount of anxiety. (This was no doubt my Type A personality rearing it’s ugly head . . . I’m considering adding a gadget to this blog, where you need only click a button to contribute to my therapy fund. Thoughts?) So the above picture wasn’t really taken for the blog. It was taken so that I have a little visual guide should I ever make crayons again. It helps to make the groupings using the colors on the wrappers. Each grouping has between 6 and 10 crayons. The groupings with 10 were too many and the groupings with six too few. Next time I’m going to aim for eight in each group. On the other hand . . . the size of your molds will change the whole equation. (Sigh.)
Speaking of the molds! These were the ones that were the best shape and match to theme. The only problem was that they were for lollipops., so they had the stick spot. And among other concerns, I was worried that if I gave kids crayons with a handle, they might eat them. So . . . .
The answer? Painter’s tape! (It has been the answer to a surprising number of things in my life.) For the most part, it blocked off the popsicle part perfectly, and actually served as a nice little handle to lift the crayon out of the mold.
I did it the same way that the fabulous Jill does, as a double boiler system.
A couple of fun facts:
- The can doesn’t really get hot. Go ahead and give it a little shake to stir the was with your bare hands.
- Wax firms up really really quickly. So when you are ready to pour . . POUR, DAMN IT, POUR!
- I got about two crayons out of each grouping, and there were 15 groupings. So that’s about 30 baseball player crayons out of each box. Again, different mold, different situation.
- Baseball player crayons are extremely flimsy, and get decapitated easily while coloring. Honestly, I don’t really care about that that much because they turned out so damn cute, but I thought it was worth mentioning.