Easy Chicken Tostadas are perfect for a busy weeknight. This chicken tostada recipe is done in about 20 minutes!
If given the choice of one type of restaurant to go to until the end of time, I would without a doubt pick something from south of the border. I love ordering tacos, nachos, and margaritas. Give me baskets upon baskets of tortilla chips with cups of salsa. I want it all.
Since I like to pretend to be a responsible adult, going out for all the tacos I can manage to consume isn’t a great idea. But! I can make recipes at home that are reminiscent of it. This Chicken Tostada recipe is perfect for that.
This great chicken recipe comes together in about 20 minutes. Additionally, it uses really simple and easy to find ingredients. Your family will love this fast easy dinner.
“You jazzed up our dinners with this wonderful simple chicken dinner”
Chicken Tostada Ingredients
One of the best parts about this recipe is the simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
- Corn Tortillas
- Canned Corn
- Shredded Chicken
- Taco Seasoning
- Black Beans
One of the things that makes this recipe so fast is by using pre-cooked chicken. I highly recommend that you use either shredded chicken that you have frozen or rotisserie chicken. It is the great thing that keeps this recipe 20 minutes.
How to Freeze Shredded Chicken
I love keeping shredded chicken in my freezer. It is simple to do too.
- Cook a large batch of boneless skinless chicken breasts or buy several rotisserie chickens.
- Shred the cooked chicken and allow it to cool. It should be cool enough to handle easily.
- Spread the cooked chicken on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
- Freeze for 1 hour. Then transfer the chicken to airtight containers and return to the freezer.
You can keep frozen chicken like this in the freezer for up to three months.
For these chicken tostadas, I would recommend using a store-bought salsa that isn’t too thin. I love my Blender Salsa, but it is on the thinner side and will likely make the tostada shells too soggy.
I used Pace Picante salsa (my kids prefer mild), and it worked perfect.
How to Make Tostada Shells
The thing that will take these chicken tostadas from a make at home dinner to feeling like eating out is a great tostada shell. You can certainly buy them, but they are very easy to make.
Brush corn tortillas with vegetable oil. Do not use flour shells. There should be enough oil that each side has a nice shine to it, but there should not be so much that it pools.
Bake the tray of corn tortillas for 5 minutes. Take them out, flip them over, and then put them back in the oven with the pan rotated from its original position. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
The amount of time it takes to make your own shells is the perfect length of time to complete the rest of the recipe. Alternatively, if you want to use store-bought tostada shells, that would work as well.
Other Great Recipes
If you too are craving taco night every night, here are some suggestions:
- This Chicken Taco recipe is actually the best. My kids request it once a week.
- Cilantro Lime Rice is a must for me.
- And while this Taco Pizza does not exactly fall in the taco category, I’m adding it because it is such a hit with the kids.
Two things really help with this recipe:
Easy Chicken Tostadas
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8.5 ounces corn drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (see more about using cooked chicken)
- 8 ounces salsa (see my salsa recommendation)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning storebought or homemade
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups colby jack cheese shredded
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Lay the tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the tortillas with the canola oil. Thick enough so that the whole side is shiney, but not so thick that you can see pools of oil. Flip them and brush the other sides. Bake for 10 minutes, flipping the toritllas half way through and rotating the pan.
- While the tortillas are cooking, in a medium to large sauce pan, combine chicken, salsa, taco seasoning, corn, and black beans over medium heat. Cooking, stirring occasionally, until it is cooked through. About 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 a cup of the mixture to the top of each tortilla. Top with 1/4 a cup of cheese each, and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is compltely melted.
- Top with cilantro and diced tomatoes.