This Taco Salad recipe is healthy and delicious with all your favorite Mexican flavors. Wholesome ingredients come together quickly for a filling meal any night of the week!
If you’re craving Mexican food but are worried about overeating chips and salsa at a restaurant before even getting your meal, try this simple and healthy Taco Salad! It’s one of my family’s favorite dinners; I love it because it’s easy to throw together even at the last minute when dinner is the very last thing on my mind. My husband and kids love it because they can customize the toppings to their own (sometimes very picky) tastes. It’s packed with lean protein, veggies and seasoned with my yummy homemade taco seasoning, so there’s something for everyone!
What are your favorite taco salad toppings? Drop me a comment below and let’s swap ideas!
WHAT GOES IN A TACO SALAD?
My kids, Nathan and I all have different ideas of what constitutes the perfect taco salad. That’s why I love this meal so much; I provide lots of toppings and they can create their own perfect dinners. Try some of these toppings:
- Lettuce: I like a hearty Romaine lettuce because it has more flavor than iceberg. But you can use any kind of lettuce you have on hand. Shredded iceberg, spring mix, green leafy lettuce are all great options.
- Protein: For this recipe I used Jennie-O lean ground turkey, but you can use ground beef, shredded chicken, shrimp, sliced steak, any kind of meat you like! Season it with homemade taco seasoning or your favorite blend.
- Beans: Go meat free, if you like and use black beans, pinto beans or kidney beans. They’re hearty and packed with protein.
- Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes or ripe heirloom tomatoes are a perfect option for this dish.
- Tortilla Chips or Taco Salad Bowl: To keep calories low, I rely on the crunch of the lettuce for my salad, but my husband likes extra crunch of tortilla chips or an edible taco bowl. You can find them at most regular grocery stores.
TACO SALAD TOPPINGS
Once you have your basic salad ingredients, the sky’s the limit when it comes to what you can add to your salad. Here are some delicious ideas:
- Cheese: cheddar, Pepper jack, a Mexican blend or Colby jack are great options.
- Sour Cream: I like using light sour cream to keep the calories down
- Salsa: any kind you like!
- Jalapenos: diced fresh or from a can, I love the spicy flavor that jalapenos give this dinner.
- Salad Dressing: Ranch or Green Goddess dressings are delicious on taco salad.
- Corn: I love to use grilled corn cut off the cob for extra flavor and crispy texture.
- Sliced Avocado
- Refried Beans
MORE MEXICAN RECIPES
For an entire Mexican feast, try adding some of these delicious recipes!
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Pizza
- Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Creamy Taco Stuffed Shells
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
I love this taco salad because it is so simple, filling and delicious! Make it any way you like, and give your family plenty of options. and Please leave me a comment below with your favorite suggestions. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 pound of ground turkey I used Jennie-O
- 15 oz of canned black beans
- 2 romain hearts chopped
- 2 to matos diced
- light sour cream
- Cook the ground turkey over medium heat with the taco seasoning, breaking it up as you go.
- While the turkey is cooking, heat the black beans (with the liquid from the can) over medium heat.
- When the turkey is done and the black beans are heated through, build the salads individually by topping the romaine lettuce with strained beans, turkey, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, and jalapeños.
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
Oh YUM! I had taco salad this week but it most definitely wasn’t healthy ;) Loving this version Lisa! Pinned!
Taco Salad is definitely one of my go-to dinners. Cannot wait to try your recipe…yum!!