Homemade Cookie Butter

posted: 10/29/13

Homemade Cookie Butter! Now you can make all the great Cookie Butter recipes even if you can’t find it!

Home Made Cookie Butter!  Now you can make all the great Cookie Butter recipes even if you can't find it! via www.wineandglue.com

What is Cookie Butter?

Every time I post a recipe using this beloved, delicious, ridiculously good jar of amazing, I get this question. At least once, very often more than once.

What is Cookie Butter? Where can I get it? Why haven’t you entered a 12 step program yet?

Okay, maybe not that last one.

Here’s what I always tell people. Think about peanut butter. Now take out the peanuts, and put delicious ginger snapish type cookies in it’s place. There. Cookie Butter!

You can find it at Trader Joe’s labeled Cookie Butter. You can find it at WalMart, Target, Walgreens, and anywhere that has a decent international section of food (like say World Market) as Biscoff Spread. I should note that I haven’t actually used the Biscoff Spread before, but I hear that it is pretty much the same deal as Cookie Butter.

On my most recent recipe using Cookie Butter, I had a reader from Canada ask if there was anyway that she could make it at home. I thought about two of my favorite dessert bloggers, Ashton and Dorothy and their recipes using home made butters made from cookies, (here and here) . . . and I decided to give it a whirl!

A couple things about this Homemade Cookie Butter.

1. The consistency does not even come close to the original. Like night and day different. I could sit and eat the store bought stuff with a spoon (and I have), but this, while very tasty is a little too grainy for that. As Ashton mentions in her recipe, letting it sit overnight helps that, but it’s not going to change it completely.

2. I used ginger snaps that are very much like biscuits. Very hard and dry little cookies. I was going for a cookie that is similar to the Biscoff cookies that you get on Delta flights, the ones that Biscoff Spread is made from. (The reason I used Ginger Snaps and not Biscoff Cookies is because I figured if you can find those, you can find the spread.)  So if you were to make this with a homemade ginger snap, the results could be very very different. You want a very dry cookie.

3. Though grainy on it it’s own, the flavor is right! I made a batch of my Cookie Butter Butterscotch Fudge with this (pictured below), and it tasted almost exactly like the original, and the grainy texture of the Homemade Cookie Butter wasn’t an issue at all.

4. This makes a decent sized batch! Like enough to fill two of the containers you see below. So make one for yourself, and one for a friend to give as a holiday gift. Then give them a load of Cookie Butter recipes to try and let them fall in love with you. :)

Homemade Cookie Butter

• 16 oz box ginger snaps  (extra dry store bought variety)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 TBSPS sugar
  1. Grind the ginger snaps in a food processor until they are very fine.
  2. Add the vegetable oil slowly and let it fully combine with the crumbs, scraping down the sides of the food processor as needed.
  3. Add the sugar.
  4. Put in a mason jar or other container and let sit for several hours (or over night) before using in a recipe.

Made with the help of this Oreo Butter Recipe and this Graham Cracker Butter.

Looking for ways to use your Homemade Cookie Butter?

cookie_butter_magic_bars

cookie_butter_butterscotch_fudge

biscoff_butterscotch_apple_pie cookie_butter_biscotti cookie_butter_cocktail sugar_cookie_bars_cookie_butter

1. Susie (The Esthetic Goddess) says

I, like so many others, have never heard of this before. It sounds yummy!

2. Peggy Shurling says

I am wondering if using a gluten free ginger nap (or any other GF cookie) would make any difference in the final product?

That is a great question Peggy! I don’t have a ton of experience with gf baking. BUT! I would think that you could get similar results, especially because when making the Homemade Cookie Butter, you are aiming for flavor WAY more than texture. So, if you have a gf ginger snap that you like, I would say go for it.

3. Lou says

I was in Costco this week and would you believe, Biscoff cookies and cookie butter samples galore. It was heaven. All your recipes mean I’ll be making yummy treats for the family and my hopes of losing a few squashed. I just can’t say no to cookie butter.

Isn’t it SO good, Lou? I know. I can eat by the spoonful :)

4. Sydney says

Do you think coconut oil could be used instead of vegetable oil?

Sydney, I have never used coconut oil, so I don’t know enough about it to know how it would work in this recipe. Sorry! If you give it a shot, let me know.

5. Tonya says

Biscoff is more of a brown sugar sweetened graham cookie butter but without ginger. TJ’s cookie butter does have a gingersnap taste and it seems more robust with the coconut that they add. So I adapted my own cookie butter with coconut oil and half graham crackers and half ginger snaps which makes the butter much smoother.

6. Tracy Spangler says

I am so glad to find another cookie butter addict! I purchased many jars of Biscoff European Cookie Butter to give to others as gifts for Christmas. After my first taste I realized I wasn’t sharing with anyone! Of course this addiction does not help my current plan to lose some weight, but I figure a little each day can’t hurt! Thank you for your recipe! I worried when my supply ran I would be hungry and also out of gifts for my family. Problem solved- I will make your fantastic recipe! Can’t wait to make it soon, and so glad you too have such cookie butter love, as your recipes made with it are amazing!

Trackbacks

1. […] number two why I’m pumped about today’s post?  Julianne combined cookie butter AND cookie dough!!!  She’s like an evil dessert genius!  (A title that has been given to […]

2. […] Homemade Cookie Butter from Wine & Glue […]

3. […] really don’t disappoint.  {If you aren’t familiar with Cookie Butter, go ahead and read this post.} They are both crispy and soft, and their cookie butter taste is to die […]

5 Secrets to Stress Free Weeknight Dinners