This Mushroom and Swiss Pull Apart Bread is a simple and satisfying appetizer! With meaty mushrooms, gooey cheese and warm bread, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
This scrumptious Mushroom and Swiss Pull Apart bread is one of my favorite appetizers to make for just about any occasion. With just a few ingredients, it’s easy to make and super delicious! It’s adapted from a Chef in Training recipe. She is so awesome! I have had the pleasure of being her collections contributor before and I feel like I’ve learned so much from her about photography, graphics, recipes. So when I was putting together her Game Day Recipe Collection and saw this Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pull Apart Bread, I wanted the whole thing immediately.
Do you have a favorite game day appetizer? This one always gets devoured immediately! Drop me a comment and let’s swap some good recipes!
WHAT IS PULL APART BREAD?
If you’ve never made a pull apart bread before, this is a perfect one to start with. With a regular loaf of any kind of bread, you score the loaf before baking, and that way it’ll have markings an indents that allow the bread to be “pulled apart” into individual servings once baked. The scored bread can be filled with cheese, meat, veggies, just about anything!
WHAT TYPE OF BREAD WORKS BEST FOR PULL APART BREAD?
Generally loaf shapes or rounded shapes are the easiest to use when it comes to making this bread. I love using a nice sour dough bread for this recipe but you could also try:
- French bread
- Rye bread
- Whole wheat bread
- Rolls (line them up in a loaf pan so they pull apart after baking)
- You could even try some non-yeast breads like sweet quick breads too.
SUGGESTIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS FOR THIS BREAD RECIPE
This pull apart bread comes together with just FOUR ingredients! Here’s all you need (plus some ideas to mix and match ingredients to make dozens of different recipes)
- First, you’ll need a stick of butter. The butter will be used to sautee your mushrooms and give the bread and veggies a yummy flavor.
- Next, slice about eight ounces of mushrooms. You can leave them sliced or chop them up finer if you prefer. You could also use green onions, diced green peppers, spinach, onions or broccoli.
- Then the cheese. Oh the cheese! I love the combination of mushrooms and swiss cheese but you could use cheddar, Pepper jack, Monterrey jack, or mozzarella.
- Finally the bread. Sourdough bread loaves are so delicious with the mushroom and Swiss flavors. If you’re not a fan, you can try one of the other types of bread listed above.
MORE PULL APART BREAD RECIPES
The possibilities of making delicious bread appetizers are endless! But for the sake of ease, I’ve compiled some of my favorite recipes for you to try:
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Ranch BLT Pull Apart Bread
- Buffalo Pull Apart Bread
- Strawberries and Cream Pull Apart Bread
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Monkey Bread
You’ll love this delicious bread! It is so full of flavor and texture, it’s sure to be a hit at your next party. Or you can serve it with a simple green salad for dinner! Drop me a comment and let me know what you think of this recipe. I love hearing from you. Enjoy!
Mushroom and Swiss Pull Apart Bread
- 1 stick butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced and chopped
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese grated
- 1 loaf sour dough bread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt a stick of butter over medium heat.
- While it is melting, cut the loaf of bread length-wise and width-wise. Don't cut all the way to the bottom.
- Add the mushrooms to butter and sauté until soft.
- Stuff the bread with half of the shredded cheese.
- Using a spoon, add the mushrooms to the bread, attempting to evenly distribute it throughout the slots in the bread.
- Pour whatever is left from the pan over the bread.
- Add the remainder of the cheese to the bread.
- Loosely cover the bread with tin foil, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.