Spinach Artichoke White Lasagna is packed with tender artichokes and vibrant spinach in a mouthwatering white cheese sauce. It’s the perfect comfort food!
This Spinach Artichoke White Pizza looks totally fancy but it’s really easy to make. I was able to make this recipe completely from scratch and it really gave me confidence in my ability as a home cook. Tender artichokes and bright green spinach pairs beautifully with cheese that melts perfectly and makes the most delicious sauce. Serve this white spinach lasagna with a simple green salad and some warm bread and you’ll have a meal perfect for any night of the week!
Tips for Making the Perfect Lasagna White Sauce
- First, make sure to read the directions all the way through in the recipe card below before you start. Keep in mind that you need TWO bricks of White Cheddar cheese, shredded, some for the sauce and more for layering in the actual lasagna.
- With smooth, velvety cheese your roux will come together nicely. The trick to a perfect roux is to whisk the flour, butter and together for at least a minute before adding milk so get rid of the flour taste.
- Next, add some milk. Whole milk will make a creamier, more flavorful sauce. Add just a little at a time until it’s completely whisked together.
- Let the milk mixture simmer and thicken (while stirring often) before adding the cheese, a little at a time.
- Follow these simple steps and you’ll have a smooth, rich, velvety white sauce perfect for this recipe!
Additions and Substitutions for Spinach Artichoke White Lasagna
- I added chicken to this lasagna for extra flavor and protein but you can easily leave it out if your family doesn’t eat meat.
- You can swap the chicken out for ground beef, turkey or diced sausage for different flavors.
- Top with some fresh chopped parsley for garnish.
- I use frozen spinach in this recipe. Make sure to drain and squeeze the water out with a paper towel before adding it to the recipe.
- You can use fresh baby spinach in this lasagna recipe too!
- Make sure to drain the artichoke hearts and give them a good chop before adding to the mixture.
More Cheese Recipes
If you love cheese like we do, try some of my other cheesy recipes. So yummy!
- Lighter Fettuccine Alfredo
- Breakfast Braid
- Bacon Jalapeno Creamed Corn
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Pizza Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Spinach Artichoke Lasagna
- For White Sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups White cheddar grated (you will need 2 8oz bricks for the whole recipe)
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- For Lasagna
- 12 lasagna noodles cooked
- 4 cups White cheddar grated
- 10 oz chopped frozen spinach thawed, and with all the moisture squeezed
- 8 oz quartered artichoke hearts chopped and very well drained
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn it. Add the flour and whisk into the butter until it is completely combined. Allow it to cook and bubble.
- Very slowly add the milk. Add it about a tablespoon at a time, whisking the milk into the butter/flour mixture until absorbed before adding more. Continue adding slowly until all the milk is whisked in. Bring to a low boil and then turn down the heat.
- Stir in the cheese, first the parmesan, allow it to melt, then add the cheddar one cup at a time allowing to melt before adding the second cup. Stir in the salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Spread a few spoonfuls of the sauce over the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch pan so that it is completely coated. Then add three lasagna noodles. Cover with 1/3 of the artichokes, 1/3 of the spinach, 1 cup of chicken and 2/3 cup of cheddar. Add a few spoonfuls of the white sauce. Repeat two more times.
- Add three more lasagna noodles. Top with the remainder of the white sauce and the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered. Broil on low for about five minutes, keeping a close eye on it so it does not burn but browns nicely.
- Let sit for 10 minutes after removing from the oven and then serve.