Homemade Southwestern Mac and Cheese
This Easy Southwestern Mac and Cheese is the perfect easy stove top dinner that your family will love!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups elbow maccaroni (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups colby jack cheese shredded
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- 4 ounces green chiles drained
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. When it is finished cooking, drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet. Add in the onion and garlic, then add the salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Whisk in the flour. Then slowly whisk in the half and half and the whole milk. Stir in the colby jack and stir until compltely melted. Add the cooked noodles to the cheese sauce.
Finally stir in the diced tomatoes, the green chlies, black beans, and corn.
Top with fresh chopped cilantro, fresh tomatoes, and jalapenos and enjoy!
Calories: 608kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 731mg | Potassium: 317mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 108IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 23mg