Homemade Mac and Cheese
This Homemade Mac and Cheese is the creamiest moat perfect macaroni and cheese recipe you could hope for. It is made on the stovetop in about 25 minutes and is a crowd pleaser!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour read why we add flour here.
- 1 cup cold half and half read what half and half is here
- 1 1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 12 ounces mild cheddar cheese shredded (about 4 cups) read why it needs to be a block of cheese here.
Cook the macaroni according to package instructions, making sure to salt the water with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt. When it is finished cooking, drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet. Whisk in the flour. Make sure it fully combines with the butter and cooks for about 30 more seconds. Then slowly whisk in the half and half and the whole milk. You want to start with just a few tablespoons at a time, adding more once it is absorbed by the roux. Then you can gradually add it more quickly. The whole process should take less than 2 minutes.
Add in the salt, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir in the cheddar cheese and stir until compltely melted. Try the sauce and add more seasoning to taste.
Finally, add the cooked noodles to the cheese sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. See reheating instructions here.
Serving: 1.6cups | Calories: 671kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 704mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g