Italian Meatloaf takes the wonderful flavors of my grandmother's Italian meatballs and combines them with a traditional meatloaf recipe for a new dish your family will love.
Servings: 8 slices
- 1 pound ground beef (I use 85%)
- 1/2 pound ground pork unseasoned
- 2 eggs whisked
- 4 slices of Italian bread 5 ounces
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
Soak the bread in cold water for about five minutes, ringing out the excess water and pulling the bread apart with your fingers. (Read a more detailed explination here.)
Combine the meat, eggs, and parsley in a large bowl. Add the bread. Then add the dry bread crumbs, parmesan, garlic, salt and pepper.
Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place in the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce.
Bake for 55 minutes, top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 more minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.