Sausage and Peppers
Sausage and Peppers is an easy weeknight dinner or the perfect game day meal. This recipe comes together with simple ingredients and is done in under 30 minutes!
Servings: 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into slices
- 1 small yellow onion cut into slices
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound Italian Sausages (if your family doesn't eat pork, there are great Italian turkey sausages on the market)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar (ready why we add sugar here)
- 5 hoagie rolls for serving
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil.
Once the oil is hot, add in the bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
Make room for the sausages and then add them in. Cook for 2 minutes on each side.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes. Season with oregano, basil, and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. You should see small bubbles the whole time the sauce is cooking. This cook time will finish cooking the sausages.
Serve on hoagie rolls.