Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup is such an easy dinner recipe! Comforting and perfect, it is better than any bowl you will get at a restaurant.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 cups
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups shredded carrot about two medium carrots
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (see note in the post)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (I needed about 1 1/2 pounds of broccoli heads to get four cups)
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Sauté for three to four minutes or until the onions are tender.
Whisk in the flour, and cook for about 30 seconds
Very slowly pour in the chicken stock. Add about two tablespoons at a time, fully whisking it in and combining it before adding more. As you add more, you will be able to add it more quickly.
Stir in the broccoli, bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes or until the broccoli is soft and tender.
Optional: Remove some of the soup and blend it for a less chunky soup.
Stir in the half and half and allow the soup to warm through.
Stir in the cheddar cheese until it is fully melted and combined into the soup.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 338kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 347IU | Vitamin C: 74mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg