This is literally the BEST Homemade Stuffing Recipe. It has everything you love about a classic stuffing recipe, celery, onion, apples, tons of delicious flavor, all in a great sausage stuffing recipe. Plus! I have instructions for how to make this Thanksgiving stuffing recipe the night before!
Servings: 10 people
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 2 small apples peeled and diced
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage I used Jennie-O turkey sausage
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 cups dried French bread cubes
Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. (Unless preparing the day before.)
Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onions, celery, and apples to the butter and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the celery and onion are translucent, about five minutes. Mix in sage and thyme. Remove from the heat.
In a separate pan, cook the sausage, breaking it up until no longer pink. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, coat the bread with the eggs. Mix in both the meat and the veggie butter mixture. Then mix in the cheese.
Pour in the stuffing mixture into the pan, then pour the chicken stock over it.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 25 to 30 minutes longer.
It is easy to make this recipe the night before!
- Complete the instructions as listed here, but don't put it in the oven.
- Cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bring it out a half hour before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- Give it a good stir, cover it and bake as instructed.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1418mg | Potassium: 276mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 590mg | Iron: 3.1mg