This easy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus recipe is made in the oven in just 15 minutes. The flavors of brown sugar and bacon this is the most amazing side dish. It is simple enough to make for a weeknight meal, but impressive enough to serve at a holiday dinner.
These asparagus wrapped in bacon bake in 15 minutes after being doused in brown sugar and butter. With only 10 minutes of prep time they are perfect to throw in at the very end of a holiday meal prep. This recipe is four servings, but is very simple to double or triple if you are hosting.
How to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
This is just a brief overview of how easy this recipe is. For the full recipe with all of the measurements, be sure to see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Prepare the asparagus. See my photos below for how to trim and cut asparagus.
- Prepare the pan. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling wrack on it and spray that with cooking spray.
- Divide the asparagus. Working with one pound of asparagus, divide it into four equal groups. If you have more than a pound, you will want to make more than four bundles. Bundles that are bigger than what you see here will take longer to cook.
- Wrap the asparagus. Wrap each bundle of asparagus with a slice of bacon. The bacon should be able to go around the bundle about two and a half times.
- Top the bacon with melted butter and brown sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
How to Prepare Asparagus
I love that asparagus tells you exactly where to trim the bottom. The very bottom of the stem is really woody and unappetizing, so that part needs to be removed. If you snap the bottom of the asparagus, it will snap right where it needs to be trimmed. You can then line the snapped piece up with the rest of the asparagus to trim the bunch at once.
Picking out Asparagus
When you are grocery shopping, there are a few things that you should look for in your asparagus.
- The tips, the bit at the very top, should look beautiful. Pass by ones with wilted tips or tips that aren’t closed tight.
- The stalks of the asparagus should appear plump, not like a plant that needs to be watered.
- Asparagus comes in many different colors (green, white, and purple), but whatever variety you are buying, make sure the color is vibrant.
How to Store Asparagus
If you are buying asparagus several days before you are making oven baked bacon wrapped asparagus, you should store them in a jar with water. Trim the bottoms as described above. Then place them in a jar with about an inch of water and place the jar in the refrigerator.
The Key to Perfect Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
The key to this recipe is getting the bacon cooked and crispy without burning the asparagus. I found that using regular cut bacon (not thick cut), bundling the asparagus together (rather than wrapping it individually), and cooking for just 15 minutes at the higher temperature of 400 degrees made this recipe turn out perfect.
Making This Without Bacon
If you love the idea of this recipe but you just aren’t so sure about the bacon, then you should definitely try my Oven Roasted Asparagus. It is so easy to make and one of my favorite side dishes. It also makes for a pretty healthy side dish!
Oven Roasted Asparagus
Yes! This is a really easy recipe to double or triple. Additionally, it is a good idea to increase it if you are hosting, as each person should get their own bundle. If you are doubling, you can stick with one baking sheet. If you are tripling, I would spread them out onto two baking sheets.
Asparagus does not need to be peeled. This recipe will make the outside plenty tender and peeling it will take away some of the nutrients asparagus has to offer.
I think that the brown sugar provides a really great flavor to this recipe. If you are eating low carb or keto, I would recommend grabbing one of the brown sugar substitutes on the market.
Yes! It has only 2 grams of carbs for 1 cup of chopped asparagus.
Other Great Side Dishes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes are so easy, simple and delish!
- If you like this bacon wrapped asparagus, you will love the brown sugar, butter, and honey combination of these Roasted Honey Glazed Carrots.
- My Zucchini Salad is so simple, but presents as elegant. Besides that, it is incredible delicious.
If you make this great Bacon Wrapped Asparagus recipe, or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven
- 1 pound asparagus washed and trimmed
- 4 slices bacon not thick cut
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Like a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray a cooling wrack with cooking spray and place on baking sheet.
- Divide the pound of asparagus into four groups. Wrap each group with one slice of bacon. Place the bundles on a the cooling wrack.
- Whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until fully combined. Spoon the mixture over each slice of bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes and enjoy warm!
Charlotte Duffield says
Should the asparagus be sprayed with olive oils or avocado oil?
Lisa Longley says
I actually don’t spray the asparagus with either in this recipe. I spray the wire rack with cooking spray and the type itself doesn’t really matter.
On the front page of your website under appetizers it looks like they’re sandwich wraps cut up? Where is that recipe?
Lisa Longley says
I bet you are looking for my Ham and Cheese Roll Ups!