Hummus Pasta is a simple vegetarian & vegan dinner that comes together in under 30 minutes. You will love this recipe with its easy to find and swappable ingredients.
With the possibility of less availability of meat, I’m going to be branching out the vegetarian dinner options here for you. My hope is that even meat eaters find these dinners delicious and interesting.
If you haven’t ever lived as a vegetarian, you should know that there are lots of great dinner options out there that are easy to make, and this Hummus Pasta is one!
WHAT IS HUMMUS PASTA
Hummus Pasta is a great easy dinner that uses hummus and the starchy cooking water from the pasta to make a great easy sauce.
It is simple to make, comes together in under 30 minutes, and it is easy to vary and change up.
HOW TO MAKE HUMMUS PASTA
As mentioned, this recipe comes together very quickly. It requires a little multi-tasking, but nothing you can’t handle.
This recipe has a video, so if you want to see the step by step in action, check that out in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Bring a large pot of water to a roaring boil and season it with kosher salt.
- Cook your spaghetti according to package instructions, but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add in garlic cloves and red pepper flakes.
- Then sauté carrots and broccoli. Cover, stirring occasionally.
- While the vegetables are cooking, whisk the hummus and a little of the pasta water. You want to make a pretty thin sauce.
- Add some lemon juice to the sauce.
- Toss everything together with the sautéed vegetables and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
If you wanted to add a little more protein to this recipe, you could sauté a little firm tofu with the vegetables.
One of the reasons I used carrots and broccoli is because they keep for so long in the refrigerator. But you could easily substitute other vegetables like snap peas and red peppers.
If you are looking to add a little more heat, up the amount of red pepper flakes you add or consider adding some chili paste to the sauce.
OTHER VEGETARIAN DINNERS
As I mentioned above, vegan dinners don’t have to be complicated and tricky. Here are a few other options you can fall back on:
- My Black Bean Tacos are vegan, and I LOVE them. So full of flavor.
- This Greek Quinoa Salad is delicious and easy to make. (Though it does have feta, so leave that out if you want a vegan meal.)
- My Vegetarian Chili is a great dinner option that will surprise you with it’s deep flavors.
- Finally, Black Beans and Rice is a great fall back pantry recipe!
If you make any of my recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 large carrots diced
- 4 cups broccoli florettes
- 1 pound spaghetti 1 cup cooking water reserved
- 1 cup hummus
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a raging boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in the carrots and broccoli and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Cover while cooking, stirring occasioally.
- Mix the hummus with 1/4 cup to 1/2 a cup of the reserved pasta water. Add more water if necessary to create a thin sauce. Whisk in the lemon juice.
- Combine the drained spaghetti, the sautéed vegetables, and the hummus sauce. Add the sliced green onions and the sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!