Easy Basil Ice Cream {No Machine Needed!}

posted: 07/25/13

Basil Ice Cream! The delicious flavor of basil in sweet ice cream that comes together quickly without a machine! via www.wineandglue.com

Just this past May Nathan and I celebrated living together for ten years (!!!). The first place we lived together (like officially without any other apartments that we pretended to stay at), was this sweet little house. It had been completely renovated on the inside and it was beautiful.

We bought it just before I graduated from college and before we were engaged (!!!). We got the unsolicited (unappreciated) advice that we were putting the cart before the horse. But, you know, sometimes you know!

Anyway. At this sweet little house, we had a sweet little garden in our backyard. And the previous owner must have sprinkled magic garden fairy dust on that spot, because even with my black thumb, everything planted there grew like NUTS. Like giant tomato plants, cucumbers that would never end, the most delicious lettuce, and basil.

Ahhhhh, sweet basil. It is so delicious, so expensive in the winter, and so plentiful from the garden in the summer. Back in those days of my youth, I had no idea what to do with fresh basil. I mean, I made pesto, but then I was pretty much stumped. If only I knew then what I know now!

This ice cream has four ingredients, okay, five if you are going to be a picky pickster and count water, but just don’t be that person. It is soooooo delicious and is perfect when you top it with fresh berries. If you are a little creeped out by basil leaves in your ice cream, just strain them. But, if you are like me and you can’t get enough basil taste, strain them so that you can add every last one to the ice cream.

And be sure to come back tomorrow for a HUGE fresh basil recipe round up!!

Easy Basil Ice Cream

• 1 cup cooled basil simple syrup (see recipe below)
  • 1 tub whipped topping
  • 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
  1. Combine all ingredients and freezer overnight. Serve with fresh berries. Yumm!

Basil Simple Syrup

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
  1. Combine the water and sugar and bring to a low boil while constantly stirring.
  2. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and add the basil leaves.

1. Jessica says

This looks so delicious. I love basil and love to use it in different ways. Can’t wait to try this Summer treat!

2. Samantha {Weirding with Wisdom} says

This is interesting! I might have to try it. I /love/ basil, finally got myself a fresh plant this year and it is growing like crazy! I never thought to put it in ice-cream (or anything sweet really..) though, thats interesting! I’ll have to try it. I bet it would be really good with the to-die-for lemon basil I got too.. I swear I go out atleast once a day just to smell that thing!

Pinning this for later. :)

3. Melisssa says

I love the idea of not having to have an ice cream maker- I think I saw a mint ice cream recipe on the Crazy for Crust website. I need to try these :)

Oh! Crazy for Crust is the queen of many things, one of which being no machine ice creams!

4. Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life says

Your recipe certainly got my attention. I love basil but am having a bit of a hard time imagining it in ice cream. But I’m going to have to give it a try because I’m up for trying unusual ice cream flavors. Thanks for the recipe.

It’s soooo delicious! Though this ice cream is super soft serve, so if you like a tougher ice cream, it might not be up your alley :)

5. Jeni says

Delish! I have a huge basil “bush” on my porch! This is a great way to use it! I make a watermelon basil sorbet that is so good!

That sounds delicious Jeni!!

6. Rachael says

This looks incredible! How long do you think it should last in the freezer? I usually keep ice cream for a long time, but wouldn’t want brown basil!

Okay, honestly, it didn’t last very long in my freezer, because {ahem} I ate it. But I don’t think that time in the freezer will make the basil brown. There are lots of sites that suggest freezing your herbs (in a totally different context). So my suggestion would be an airtight container for no more than two months.

7. Amanda says

I’m wondering how big of a “tub of whipped topping” are you talking? I wasn’t sure, never used sweetened condensed milk in anything before so after I saw how small the can was I thought the smaller whipped topping (8oz) would be ok. My ice cream turned out tasty…but wayyy too sweet.

I’m talking an 8 oz container of Cool Whip

8. Corinne Nash says

So I made it, I only changed one ingredient from whipped topping to whipped heavy whipping cream for a little less sugar. It is soooooo good and it’s not even frozen yet lol. Thanks for the great idea, I have so much fresh basil, from only 2 plants, that I am looking for any recipes that call for it.

I’m so happy you liked it Corinne!

9. Liilii says

This is the easiest no-churn ice cream I’ve ever made! Though I’ve made a couple changes-
    Instead of whipped topping, I used hand-whipped (only because I don’t own a mixer 😅) heavy cream without any sugar and a bit of lemon extract and vanilla extract. I was worried about the sweetness level, and after tasting the final product, I’m glad I did so! I also topped with strawberries, yum! But I may just fold in some chopped strawberries, since it’s basically like soft serve in there!
    Thanks! 🤙🤙