My Chicken and Broccoli Recipe is the perfect easy stir fry. Made with simple ingredients and done in under 25 minutes, this dinner is a winner!
Our family loves simple stir fry recipes. They check so many boxes for us as meals that contain a protein and vegetables. They are basically one pot meals that we pop over some rice we made in the Instant Pot.
This Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry is a simple riff on my Beef and Broccoli. It is so simple to make and absolutely delicious. Your family is bound to love it.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Here is a brief overview of how this chicken and broccoli recipe comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Make the sauce. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the chicken. Cook until it is no longer pink; it will finish cooking as the recipe progresses. Then stir in the sauce.
- Add the broccoli. Cover the pan and cook until the broccoli is tender, about four minutes.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Chicken Stir Fry Sauce
The stir fry sauce in this recipe is what brings the flavor and ties everything all together. Here is what makes up the delicious and tangy sauce:
- Low-sodium soy sauce: The base of the sauce. Since we are using it as the base, I recommend using a low-sodium soy sauce so we can better control the salt in this recipe. If you don’t have low-sodium soy sauce on hand, use 1/3 cup soy sauce and the rest water to make 1/2 cup total liquid.
- Cornstarch: This is what we use to thicken the sauce.
- Brown sugar: Adds just enough sweetness to balance the acidity and saltiness of the other ingredients.
- Garlic: Adds a flavor profile to this recipe.
- Ginger: Adds a great unique flavor to this chicken stir fry with broccoli. Read more about cooking with ginger below.
- Chili paste: This paste is easy to keep on hand and is delicious in so many recipes. One teaspoon will give it just a nice little kick. If you like your dishes spicy, add two teaspoons of chili paste.
- Red pepper flakes: Adds a little heat to this stir fry.
Cooking With Ginger
I love the flavor ginger adds to this broccoli chicken stir fry recipe. When buying ginger to cook with, you have two options.
- Fresh ginger: You can buy fresh ginger root, peel it, and grate it. It can be stored in the freezer for up to three months and grated from frozen.
- Pre-grated ginger. The other option is to buy a tube of pre-grated ginger. This may be more expensive, but is definitely more convenient and usually the route my family goes. You get the exact amount needed and can find it in most US grocery stores near the fresh herbs.
I prefer to make this recipe with fresh broccoli that has been cut up. It cooks in the sauce and takes on such a great flavor.
If you want to use frozen broccoli, I recommend thawing it first to avoid extra water in the skillet and adding it to the dish just prior to serving or eating.
How to Serve
Serve the cooked chicken broccoli mixture over rice. For a lower carb option and an extra serving of vegetables, serve it over Cauliflower Rice.
We also really enjoy adding toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions to the top of our dish.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. I recommend storing the rice in a separate container from the chicken and broccoli. You can reheat portions of stir fry mixture in the microwave or over low heat on the stovetop until heated through and serve over fresh or reheated rice.
Just a reminder that leftovers should only be reheated once and to always use your best judgment with leftovers.
This is a great recipe to make ahead for quick and delicious lunches for the week. Prepare the recipe as written and prepare the rice. Separate the rice into four containers and top with the chicken broccoli stir fry. I also love doing this with my Teriyaki Chicken Bowl.
Yes! They would be delicious in this recipe. Cut them up just how you would the chicken breasts.
No, this recipe is not gluten-free due to the soy sauce. I recommend using a gluten-free soy sauce or liquid aminos to make it gluten-free.
If you make this chicken and broccoli recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce see note 1
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 – 2 teaspoons chili paste (we normally buy this) see note 2
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast sliced thin
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets approximately 4 cups
- Whisk together the soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chili paste, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger, 1 – 2 teaspoons chili paste, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the sauce.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- Add the broccoli and cover until the broccoli is cooked, about 4 minutes.1 head of broccoli cut into florets
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
- If you don’t have low-sodium soy sauce on hand, use 1/3 cup soy sauce and the rest water to make 1/2 cup total liquid.
- If you like your dishes spicy, make sure to add two teaspoons of chili paste. Just 1 teaspoon will give it just a small, nice little kick.
- Please note that the nutritional information does not include the rice.