This Homemade Taco Seasoning comes together fast with measurements for one pound of meat or for a whole container to keep in your pantry! Make it extra spicy or keep it mild. We use this recipe weekly!
WHY THIS IS THE PERFECT HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING FOR YOU
This Taco Seasoning recipe has become an absolute staple in my house. I love this homemade taco seasoning recipe so much because you can see that there are two versions for it, a small batch and a big batch. Make the small batch for one recipe at dinner time, or make the big batch version and always have it on hand.
Additionally, because you are making it at home, you can control the ingredients. I have instructions for controlling the spice level and the amount of salt.
ONE RECIPE, TWO SIZES
Looking to make dinner right now? Make the small batch version.
Want to always have this on hand? Make the big batch version.
- The small batch version amounts to 1 ounce or 3 tablespoons, the same as the taco seasoning packet from the grocery store.
- The big batch version amounts to 1 1/2 cups or 8 small packets. Pull out 3 tablespoons at a time to equal one pound of meat.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SEASONING
Taco seasoning is incredibly simple to make, since it is just measuring out the spices and whisking them together. If you want to hear me talk far too long on it, check out the video below.
- chili powder
- kosher salt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- cayenne pepper (vary the amount depending on the level of heat you want)
Whisk the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
SPICY VS. MILD
The big bonus of this recipe is that you can make this recipe mild, medium or hot! We tend to keep it mild for the kids, but love it medium for us.
- For mild: take out the cayenne pepper completely
- For medium: leave the cayenne pepper as is
- For hot: double the cayenne pepper
CAN I MAKE THIS LOW SODIUM?
Yes! Depending on your dietary restrictions, you can cut the salt in this recipe. I would start with cutting the salt in half. If your diet requires very strict sodium restrictions, cut the salt entirely and then allow your family to salt their meal to taste.
DOES THIS TACO SEASONING GO BAD?
If you store your taco seasoning in an air tight container, it should stay good for 1 to 2 years. That said, I think you will use it a lot faster than that.
VIRAL RECIPES MADE WITH THIS TACO SEASONING
I’ve had a number of viral recipes that started with this homemade taco seasoning!
- TACO BRAID – This recipe has a viral Facebook video that has been shared over 300k times!
- TACO SOUP – I’ve been loving this soup for YEARS and it has been pinned over 40k times
- TACO PASTA SALAD – The video for this post broke the internet. It was shared 1 MILLION times!
My number one most common way to use this taco seasoning recipe is with these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos. We make them all the time and never tire of them.
OTHER GREAT HOMEMADE SEASONINGS
If you make this great taco seasoning or any of my other recipes leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
To Replace One Store Bought Packet (1 ounce or 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Large Batch (The equivalent of 8 store bought packets)
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Mix together all the spices. 3 tablespoons is equivalent to what you would buy at the store.