This Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe from scratch comes together in about 25 minutes! It is an Italian spaghetti sauce that you can make quickly to go with dinner, serve with your meatballs, or throw in your lasagna.
It has been insanely flippn’ cold here, guys.
(Side note: In real life I kind of swear like a sailor. I have gotten really good at turning it on and off in front of the kids without even thinking twice, but yeah . . . . I have a potty mouth. So I don’t actually say things like “flippn'” unless I’m texting with someone who I don’t think swears, hahaha! I use other more satisfying f-words.)
It’s just starting to warm up a little. But it feels like such a cruel way to really start winter. It’s making me realize that by about March my family is going to have some serious cabin fever.
So this has me wanting to make all the things that are warm and comforting. Like spaghetti. Is there anything more satisfying than a giant bowl of spaghetti? I think not.
And what better to top spaghetti with than some delicious homemade spaghetti sauce. Guys, making sauce at home could not be easier. You don’t need to be a whiz in the kitchen. And you just need to keep some dried herbs, garlic and canned tomatoes on hand to make it come together on the regular, making it the best spaghetti sauce recipe.
How do you make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce?
- Start by sautéing some garlic in olive oil.
- Add your canned tomatoes – either two cans of crushed tomatoes or one can of crushed tomatoes and one can of diced tomatoes for a chunkier sauce.
- Add in your herbs and spices.
- Bring it to a simmer and allow it to thicken for about 15 minutes.
What can you put in your Spaghetti Sauce?
Honestly, the sky is the limit. This was a recipe that I just barely adapted from America’s Test Kitchen. I took out the onions because that was in my wedding vows and I added a few more herbs. This would be great swapping out the diced tomatoes for another can of crushed tomatoes. You could also make a variation on this with meat for a great homemade meat spaghetti sauce.
Great recipes to use Spaghetti Sauce
If you love this recipe but want to round out your meal, make my Meat Sauce.
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz diced tomatoes see note
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté just until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the crushed and diced tomatoes. Stir in the sugar, salt, oregano, parsley, basil, and crushed red pepper flakes. Add pepper to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook on low for about 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickens, stirring intermittently.