This AMAZING Slow Cooker Vegetable and Meatball Soup comes together in a snap and is a healthy and hearty meal!
MEATBALL SOUP IS COMFORT FOOD AT ITS FINEST
There’s nothing quite as cozy and comforting as a hearty, flavorful bowl of soup. With this slow cooker vegetable and meatball soup we’re not talking about some thin broth with a few paltry slivers of veggies floating around. No, this is a textured, rich, ladle full of goodness. It fills you up and warms you up in all the coziest ways.
I thought you guys would love this soup for the new year. It’s made in the slow cooker using bite sized frozen meatballs, but you could totally make your own, you add that to some seasoned canned diced tomatoes, a ton of veggies, and some orzo, and you have a seriously amazing soup on your hands. It’s about 377 calories a bowl (obviously it depends on what type of meatballs you throw in), and it’s totally filling! So perfect if you are trying to keep things on the lighter side after the holidays.
BEST VEGGIES TO USE IN THIS MEATBALL SOUP
One of the great things about this recipe is the fact that it is so versatile. Have someone in your family who loves zucchini? Feel free to throw some in. Not a big fan of carrots, you could leave them out.
Certainly our recipe offers a wonderful blend of complementary vegetables to go along with the flavorful meatballs, but you can tweak it to make the people in your life as happy about this meal as we are.
Here are a list of a few vegetables that work well:
- Summer Squash
Let me know in the comments some of your favorite veggies to use.
CAN I MAKE MY OWN MEATBALLS?
If you have a meatball recipe you love, by all means, you can add homemade meatballs to this delicious meatball soup. In fact, you can try our Baked Turkey Meatballs or this recipe for Grandma’s Meatballs instead. But if you’re pressed for time, the frozen pre-cooked meatballs work great too!
MORE DELICIOUS SOUPS TO TRY
Now that we have you in the mood for soup, here are a few more recipes you will want to try.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a quick, delicious, low calorie option for a healthy, tasty dinner. It takes only 5 minutes to prep and you can enjoy it for 300 calories a bowl.
- Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe shows that once again the crockpot saves the day! Serve your family a meal they will love without slaving in the kitchen all day.
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the definition of comfort food! Rich, delicious, earthy flavors mingle together to make this the perfect filling and fabulous meal at your table.
- Steak Fajita Soup Recipe is going to be one of your favorite new comfort foods. It takes everything you love about fajitas and puts it in a soup bowl.
If you try any of these amazing soup recipes, definitely leave a comment below and let me know!
Slow Cooker Vegetable and Meatball Soup
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup carrots sliced 2 small handfuls of baby carrots
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 15 oz diced tomatoes with basil and oregano undrained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 T basil
- 1/2 T dried parsley
- 1 pound frozen bite sized fully cooked meatballs (see a note in the post with links to meatball recipes)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup small noodles alphabet or orzo
- shredded parmesan optional
- In the bottom of a slow cooker, combine the meatballs, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, and spices.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to high and stir in the orzo and chopped spinach and cook for another half hour.
- Serve with shredded parmesan.