This Easy Chocolate Cake is the answer to all your chocolate cravings. It is simple to make and has the best easy frosting. If you eat it straight from the pan, I will not judge you.
This easy Chocolate Cake recipe went through a few rounds of testing, and this was by far my kids’ favorite version. They literally wanted to take more forkfuls right from the pan.
This cake is beyond easy to make. In fact, this is the perfect baking activity with kids because it comes together so quickly. It will be so satisfying for kids to be able to enjoy their creation so quickly after making it.
Our amazing chocolate cake is most and delicious. And it comes with the most perfect chocolate frosting. It’s okay if you, the parent, wants to call dibs on licking the bowl. I understand.
How to Make Easy Chocolate Cake
- Mix the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine the milk, vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 9 by 9 inch baking dish. The size of the baking dish matters in this recipe. Read more about this below.
- Bake and allow to cool. We are going to frost the cake, but you need it to fully cool before you can add the frosting.
- Make the frosting. Whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and milk. Spread the frosting over the cake and enjoy.
Baking Dish Size for Chocolate Cake
The size of the baking dish matters when it comes to cake recipes. In this recipe, we are using a 9 by 9 inch square baking dish. If you were to use an 8 by 8 inch baking dish, that would be 25% less volume. This cake will fit in that pan, but it will be too thick. This can result in your cake rising a lot in the middle, but not having the support it needs and falling after baking.
Easy Chocolate Frosting for Cake
This cake comes with a melt in your mouth easy frosting. In it we are combining five simple ingredients to make a perfect frosting. This chocolate frosting comes together in less than five minutes and just requires a bowl and a spoon. You will love it and fall back on it for so many different cake recipes.
Tips and Tricks for this Easy Chocolate Cake
- Measure your flour correctly. Scoop the flour into a dry measuring cup with a spoon. Then level the flour off with the flat edge of a spatula.
- Double check you are using baking powder and not baking soda. The two react differently in recipes, and for this one – because we aren’t working with something acidic – we need to use baking powder.
- Ensure that your baking powder is still reactive. Drop a little into some water. It should bubble immediately. If it doesn’t, it likely needs to be replaced. Baking powder needs to be replaced approximately every six months.
- Use the correct sized baking dish. As mentioned above, it is important for this recipe to use a 9 by 9 inch baking dish and not an 8 by 8 inch baking dish.
Storing Chocolate Cake
This homemade chocolate cake will keep on the countertop for about four to five days, though it will be best when eaten in the first 48 hours. Be sure to cover the cake with aluminum foil for storing.
If you would like to make this cake ahead of time and freeze, bake it completely and allow to cool completely. Do not frost the cake. Then cover the cake with aluminum foil. Wrap it three times in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to three months. Allow it to thaw completely overnight before frosting and serving.
Easy Chocolate Cake
For Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup milk see note one about fat content
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Chocolate Frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar scooped and leveled, not packed
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
For Chocolate Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 9 inch by 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until they are just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-38 minutes or just until a toothpick comes out clean.
For Chocolate Frosting
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk until smooth. Spread over cooled cake and serve.
- In this recipe I used skim milk. In general it is okay to go up in fat content in baking recipes, but not down. So any milk will work well in this recipe.