This Simple Mojito Recipe is light and refreshing and just 90 calories! And with just four ingredients, it’s the perfect easy summer cocktail!
I adore a good mojito cocktail. But given that basically a main ingredient is sugar or simple syrup, my waistline just can’t take all the times that I want to reach for one. So I created a lighter, slimmer, healthier version so I can enjoy mojitos more often! This is such a deliciously light spin on my classic Mojito recipe. Fresh mint, gorgeous white rum, tart lime and bubbly diet soda keeps those calories down but flavor spot on! This is perfect to sip on the patio with your girlfriends late into the summer evening.
Have you tried lighter versions of your favorite cocktails? I would love to hear your ideas, if you want to share! Please leave a comment below.
PERFECT MOJITO IN JUST FOUR INGREDIENTS
Die hard mojito lovers out there might string me up by my cocktail lovin’ toes for this one, but it turned out so amazing that I don’t even care. These four simple ingredients blend together perfectly to make a gorgeous, skinny cocktail that you can enjoy during those sweltering summer months. Here’s all you need:
- White Rum: If you’re looking for the best rum for mojitos, my absolute favorite is Bicardi.
- Fresh Mint Leaves: This cocktail is the perfect way to use up all that delicious mint you’ve been growing all summer. If you don’t have an abundance of garden variety, you can just get a bunch at the produce section of your grocery store.
- Lime Juice: We usually have a bowl of lemons and limes on our counter during the summer. We use them for just about everything, including mojitos. But lime juice from the bottle will work just as well if that’s what you have on hand.
- Diet Soda: I love 7UP or Sprite as it gives this cocktail a sweet flavor and another dimension of lime. You could use club soda for a more tart flavor.
- Ice: Add a little crushed ice to the top of each cocktail, once you’ve muddled everything all together. (Side note: I like to use the bottom of an ice cream scoop or a wooden spoon to mush everything up. Muddling releases the flavor of the mint and lime and blends those flavors together beautifully.)
MOJITO CALORIES: A COMPARISON
A classic mojito cocktail usually lands around 240 calories each, with its mixture of lime juice, sugar, mint leaves, soda and rum. Rum can be a little higher in calories than other types of alcohol. On the other hand, this lighter mojito drink is only 90 calories per serving! Even with the rum, cutting out the sugar of a regular mojito really lowers those carbs and calories. I promise you will never miss the sugar with this delicious cocktail.
MORE MOJITO RECIPES
If you love this simple mojito recipe, you’ll go crazy for my twists on the classic cocktail:
- Classic Mojito Recipe
- Mojito Margarita
- Pineapple Mojito
- Pomegranate Mojitos
- Mojito Sangria
- Strawberry Basil Mojito
- Skinny Orange Blueberry Mojito
- Lemon Ginger Mojito
I hope you love this Simple Mojito Recipe as much as I do! Please comment below and let me know what you think. Cheers to summer and mojitos all season long!
Simple Mojito Recipe
- juice of one lime
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 2 oz of white rum
- 12 oz of diet lemon lime soda like 7UP or Sprite
- Divide the mint leaves and lime juice between two glasses.
- Add 1 oz of rum to each glass and muddle (I like using the bottom of an ice cream scoop to mush everything up).
- Add a little ice, top with the soda, and stir to combine.
Love the recipes. I made a Green Tea Mint Mojito Sangria that I think you would like.
Lisa Longley says
You are very crafty in the kitchen everything looks so delicious even your drinks are jumping off the page!