These Milky Way Magic Bars come together so easily and they are so ooey gooey delicious! This is a great spin on the original seven layer bar recipe.
These Milky Way Magic Bars have long been a very popular recipe here. They are the simplest of recipes, but are incredibly addictive. I love making them for friends and families around the holidays, but they are perfect for summer time backyard BBQs too!
How to Make Milky Way Magic Bars
This is a brief overview of how to make this easy recipe. For the full recipe with all of the measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Make the cookie layer base. Mix together the cookie mix from the pouch and press into a 9 by 13 inch pan. (See note below for a from scratch alternative.)
- Add the Milky Way layer. Top the cookie dough with cut up Milky Ways and chocolate chips.
- Pour on the sweetened condensed milk. All good magic bar recipes use sweetened condensed milk. Top with that.
- Bake the magic bars. Allow for them to cool before slicing into bars.
Making the Cookie Layer from Scratch
This recipe was originally made using a store-bought cookie mix. If you would rather make homemade cookie dough for this layer, you can do as I did in my Strawberries and Cream Magic Bars.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the vanilla and the egg.
- Add the flour mixture until the butter/sugar mixture and beat until just combined.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the 9 by 13 inch pan and follow the rest of the instructions as written.
After the bars have completely cooled, cut and store in an air tight container for up to one week.
These bars freeze very well. Cut them into individual pieces and freeze them in a single layer for one hour. Then they can be stacked and stored in an air tight container and frozen for up to 3 months.
Milky Way Magic Bars
- 1 pouch of sugar cookie mix and what you need to make it 17.5 oz (read here for how to make this layer from scratch)
- 2 large milky way bars (1.84 ounce sized bars) chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 375. Spray a 9 by 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the cookie mix and press it into the bottom of the pan.
- Top the cookie dough with the Milky Way bars and the chocolate chips. Then pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the bars.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until the whole top is a golden brown and the edges are deep golden.
- Let cool. Cut into them and enjoy!