This creamy Salted Caramel Irish Coffee combines creamy caramel, ice cream, and kosher salt for a rich, decadent spin on my Irish Coffee Recipe. It is the ultimate afternoon pick-me-up. If you are looking to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in over drive, make my Irish Coffee Shots!
The other day, I overheard a conversation in the coffee aisle at the grocery store:
Woman 1: “Why does everything come in salted caramel flavor these days?”
Woman 2: “Uhhhhh, have you TASTED it?”
I had to laugh, because seriously. If you’ve tasted anything made with the popular salted caramel flavor you’re probably firmly on the bandwagon. And who can blame you? There are SO many ways to incorporate this sweet and salty combination in desserts and yes, even cocktails!
SALTED CARAMEL IRISH COFFEE
Typically an Irish Coffee is made a few simple ingredients: coffee, whiskey, brown sugar, and whipped cream. I love this spin on the traditional Irish Coffee where the brown sugar is replaced with caramel sauce, the whipped cream is replaced with ice cream, and a little kosher salt is added on top. It’s an Irish Coffee variation you can’t miss!
HOW TO MAKE SALTED CARAMEL IRISH COFFEE
- Start with your favorite brewed coffee. This recipe makes two good sized mugs full. There special Irish Coffee Mugs you can buy, but I find that this recipe tastes great no matter what you drink it out of.
- Stir in a tablespoon or so of caramel sauce. You can find several kinds in the ice cream topping section of your grocery store.
- Speaking of ice cream, you’ll need it! Because after adding in an ounce of rich Irish Whiskey, top with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yummmm. The ice cream settles in nicely over the hot Irish coffee, resulting in the most divine frothy cream topping.
- For garnish, drizzle with more caramel sauce and a sprinkling of kosher salt.
It’s like an Irish Coffee and a Root Beer Float got together and had a baby!
Whether you are looking for a great dessert at the end of a long day or you are looking for a nice little pick me up treat on a weekend morning, this Salted Caramel Irish Coffee is going to be the answer to all your problems.
Salted Caramel Irish Coffee
- 16 ounces coffee
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- kosher salt
- Divide the coffee between two mugs.
- Stir one tablespoon of caramel sauce into each coffee.
- Stir one ounce of Irish whiskey into each mug.
- Top each mug with vanilla ice cream. Top with additional caramel sauce and kosher salt.
Other cocktails that act like dessert!