This Eggnog Latte recipe is like having Starbucks at home! Make your favorite Starbucks seasonal offering right in the comfort of your own home. You are going to want to make this all the time.
Holiday coffee drinks are a favorite tradition, and they are incredibly easy to make at home. This eggnog latte comes together with just a few simple ingredients. You can have your favorite seasonal coffee drink without changing out of your pajamas!
Eggnog Latte Ingredients
You only need a few ingredients for this great drink and most of them are already in your pantry. For the full list of ingredients and their measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Strong coffee or espresso: The base of this holiday latte, read more on your options below.
- Eggnog: While most lattes are made with milk, creamy eggnog adds the best flavor and texture to this at-home latte. Nothing beats Homemade Eggnog, but store-bought will also work in this recipe.
- Brown sugar: Adds just enough sweetness to balance the other ingredients.
- Vanilla extract: Adds the perfect, subtle flavor profile.
- Rum extract: Also used in my Rum Balls, rum extract is an ingredient used in baking, much in the same way vanilla extract is used. It is made from concentrated rum and provides the taste of drinking eggnog and rum together without adding alcohol to our morning coffee.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg: These ground spices add the perfect cozy spice.
How to Make an Eggnog Latte
My favorite part of this recipe, besides drinking it in peace and quiet, is that you don’t need any special equipment to make it. Here is a brief overview of how it comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Brew your coffee. See below for how to adjust your coffee ratio to make it stronger.
- Combine all of the ingredients. Bring everything to a simmer in a saucepan on the stovetop, stirring occasionally.
- Blend the mixture. Use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a blender. Mix until well combined. This makes the mixture whipped and frothy, like a latte you would get at a coffee shop.
- Serve the latte. Pour into a mug and top with Whipped Cream and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
Making Strong Coffee or Espresso
Lattes are famous for their kick of caffeine. Because we are adding in other liquids, you are going to need to make the coffee part strong. It will bring the caffeine kick as well as that great coffee taste.
You can do this by adjusting the amount of water to coffee ratio you use, doing a higher amount of coffee and a lower amount of water. Additionally, lots of coffee machines now have an espresso setting. That’s a great place to start with this recipe.
If you have an espresso machine, you can definitely use two shots (or a double shot) of espresso or instant espresso.
All of that being said, if you would like this to have a more mild coffee taste and less caffeine, this recipe is absolutely delicious with coffee that has been prepared traditionally.
Homemade Whipped Cream
Making whipped cream from scratch only requires two ingredients and can be whipped up while your ingredients simmer. It is so easy and perfect for topping all of your holiday desserts and cozy beverages. Here is a brief overview of how it comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, see the post whipped cream linked below.
- Put your metal attachment and metal bowl in the freezer. They need to be VERY cold for this recipe to work, so I recommend freezing them for at least 15 minutes, ideally 30 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the heavy cream and powdered sugar to the cold bowl.
- Beat together. You may need to start your mixer on low to incorporate the powdered sugar for a few seconds so it doesn’t fly everywhere. Then increase the speed to high and beat the mixture until stiff peaks appear. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Frothing Milk for Lattes
A key part of a latte is to frothed milk. I like doing this at the very end. After everything has come together, I like to lightly froth it by holding a milk frother at the very top of the liquid.
While you can froth with an immersion blender or in an actual blender, a milk frother is a nice affordable tool that works amazingly well.
Eggnog is made with treated eggs, milk, heavy cream, and a variety of spices. It can be enjoyed as is or added to coffee or baking recipes. We have a great homemade recipe so you can see exactly what is in it and how it is made: Homemade Eggnog.
Yes! Add the mixture to a glass of ice to make an iced eggnog latte.
Absolutely! Just use decaf coffee or espresso.
Make a Spiked Eggnog Latte
Want a caffeine kick and boozy treat all in one? Make a spiked eggnog latte! Add spiced rum to the warm, creamy beverage to create the ultimate indulgence. It is all of your favorite cozy beverages combined in one warm, cozy cocktail.
Add 1/4 cup of spiced rum to the other ingredients in the saucepan or add a splash to your mug and stir before adding the whipped cream.
If you make this Eggnog Latte or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- 2/3 cup strong coffee (157.7 ml)
- 3/4 cup eggnog (177.4 ml)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer while stirring constantly. Simmer for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.2/3 cup strong coffee, 3/4 cup eggnog, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon rum extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender to whip for a nice frothy top. Serve in mugs.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.