Apple Pie Filling is the perfect recipe for the apples you got from apple picking! This makes great apple pies, but can be used in dozens of recipes.
Every fall our family goes apple picking, so we have a wealth of apple recipes here on Simple Joy. Lately, we have been getting requests an easy Apple Pie Filling. This recipes perfect and can be made in no time at all.
This recipe comes together with just six ingredients. It has the perfect amount of sweetness and spice. With all of our tips on what apples to use and how to turn it into pie, you are going to fall in love.
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
- Combine ingredients for the sauce over heat. Add apple juice, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan over low to medium heat. Stirring consistently, allow the mixture to cook and thicken for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the apples. Stir in the apple slices and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the apples soften. Remove it from the heat.
- Use or store. This recipe can be used right away, or you can keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Please see below about canning and freezing.
Best Apples for Apple Pie
My strong feeling on this is that you should use the apples you love most. That being said, I think a mixture of sweet and tart apples is what works best. My first pick is always half Gala Apples and half Granny Smith.
Other great options are:
- Honey Crisp
How to Make Into an Apple Pie
This recipe is the perfect recipe to use with my Fool Proof Pie Crust.
- Double my pie crust recipe.
- Roll out the dough, and put in a deep dish pie pan.
- Add the apple pie filling.
- Cover with the second pie crust, cutting a few slits for venting. (Or make a lattice top.)
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Lower the temperature to 325 and bake for an additional 25 minutes, covering the top of the crust to prevent burning if necessary.
Freezing Apple Pie Filling
This recipe can be frozen. Be sure to leave at least an inch for expansion. This recipe will keep in the freezer for three months.
Can this recipe be canned?
This recipe has not been tested for canning. As written it isn’t safe for canning. You would need to add lemon juice and switch the cornstarch for Clearjel. This is our favorite resource on canning.
How long does this apple pie filling recipe last in the refrigerator?
It lasts for 3 to 4 days.
How long does apple pie filling keep in the freezer?
This recipe will keep in the freezer for three months.
How do you thicken apple pie filling without cornstarch?
Many people have had great luck with Clearjel, which is what you should use in canning pie fillings.
Apple Pie Filling Recipes That Aren’t Pie
There are so many great things you can do with this recipe! Here are just a few:
If you make this apple pie filling recipe or any of our other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 medium apples 6 cups slices
- In a large sauce pan over low to medium heat, combine the apple juice, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir consistently, allowing the mixture to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the apples. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the apples soften. Remove from the heat.