Coffee Cake Muffins are the perfect addition to any brunch menu. These are delicious, easy to make, and freeze beautifully.
Brunch is one of my favorite ways to host people over the holidays. Everyone is at their perkiest, and you can easily create a huge spread with a few simple recipes. One great recipe to include in any brunch gathering is muffins!
Muffins are perfect when you are hosting because you can make them ahead of time, and they are easy for people to grab. You can eat them perched on the arm of a sofa with a mimosa in your other hand while sharing great conversation!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
How to Make Coffee Cake Muffins
Here is a brief overview of how these cinnamon coffee cake muffins come together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Make the streusel topping. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the streusel. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using two forks or a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the filling. Whisk together the ingredients for the filling and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients for the batter. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the sides of your bowl. Mix in the sour cream, scrape down the sides again, and then add the milk and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture. Beat on low for a few moments, then beat on high until the mixture is just combined.
- Put the muffins together. Add some of the batter to the bottoms of the prepared muffin tins, followed by some of the filling. Then, top with the remaining batter. Finally, top with the streusel topping.
- Bake the muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in a muffin in the middle of the pan comes out with just a few crumbs.
The Best Muffin Tin
Like with any baking recipe, it is crucial to measure the flour correctly for these muffins. Getting too much flour because it is packed will result in muffins that are dry and dense. Follow these simple steps to get the perfect amount of flour every time.
- Whisk the flour in the container or bag it is stored in.
- Use a spoon to scoop the flour from its container into a dry measuring cup. Do not use the measuring cup to scoop it directly.
- Use the flat edge of a spatula to level it off.
Crumb Topping For Muffins
The best part of this coffee cake muffin recipe is the delicious streusel topping. It is crumbly and has the perfect cinnamon-sugar flavor. The key to the streusel topping is cutting the butter into the flour and brown sugar. To do this you will want to start with cold butter. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to combine the ingredients until it becomes crumbly.
Tips and Tricks
- Use room-temperature sour cream and eggs. Take both ingredients out of the refrigerator before you preheat the oven. They will incorporate into the batter better when they are at room temperature. Alternatively, you can use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Use cold butter for the streusel topping. This is important to keep your topping crumbly. Use room-temperature butter for the batter. You should be able to dent it with your finger, but not push all the way through.
- Scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl. Make good use of your spatula and scrape down the sides of your bowl after adding ingredients and mixing.
Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container for up to three days. They do not need to be refrigerated.
Making these muffins ahead of time and freezing them is a great way to save time when preparing for a brunch. Bake the muffins, allow them to cool, and then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to three months. Allow the muffins to thaw before eating.
If you make this cinnamon coffee cake muffins recipe or any of my other recipes, leave a comment and let me know what you think.
Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour scooped and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim, but you could go up in fat content)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
To Make Streusel Topping
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the streusel.1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.4 tablespoons unsalted butter
To Make the Filling
- Whisk together the ingredients for the filling and set aside.1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
To Make Batter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 to 6 minutes.1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Now beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides and beat in the sour cream until the mixture is smooth and combined. Scrape down the sides again. Finally, beat in the milk.3 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk
- Add in the flour mixture, and beat on low for a few moments until you can beat on high until the mixture is just combined.
Putting Muffins Together
- Add about a tablespoon of the batter to the bottoms of the prepared muffin tins. Add 1 teaspoon of filling to the muffins. Then, top with the remaining batter. Finally, top with the streusel topping.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin in the middle of the pan comes out with just a few crumbs.