This Creamy Cucumber Salad only takes about 15 minutes to make and is the perfect picnic salad. Make it for gatherings or a simple side dish for family dinners.
Fresh garden vegetables are one of my very favorite things about summer. Whether we get them from our own garden or from the Farmer’s Market, they truly spark joy for me.
Fresh cucumbers are no different, they are so delicious when they are fresh. Cucumbers are the star of this easy Creamy Cucumber Salad recipe. The easy dressing on this salad highlights all there is to love about cucumbers.
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
We are only using two veggies in this simple salad.
- English Cucumbers
- Small Red Onion
The dressing for this salad is so simple, and has a lot of what you already have on hand.
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Dill
- Salt and Pepper
What Type of Cucumber To Use
I used English Cucumbers for this recipe. I love how crisp they are with the minimal number of seeds they have.
That being said, use whatever type of cucumber you have. As I mentioned above, I think that cucumbers from the garden and the Farmer’s Market are amazing in this salad.
How To Cut Red Onions
I love the subtle sweetness that the red onions bring to this recipe. It is important to not cut them too thin for this recipe or they won’t hold up.
I would encourage you to use fresh dill in this recipe and not dried dill. I have some recipes, like my Ranch Dressing, where either will work.
Because of the small amount of ingredients in this recipe, I really think this is a place to use fresh dill.
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead of Time
This is not my favorite recipe to make the day before. So if you are planning an event and want to make some side dishes the night before, this might not be one to add to that list.
That being said, I do think you should make it 1 to 2 hours before you plan on serving it. The vinegar and the lemon juice soften the cucumbers and onion and the flavors have a chance to really come together.
How Many Does it Serve?
This recipe makes 5 cups. That is the perfect amount for about 6 people if you are only having one side dish.
If this is one of many side dishes, I would count on about 1/2 a cup per person.
Other Great Summer Salad
For some reason, this summer I am all about making vegetable side dishes for you. These are my current favorites:
- Zucchini Panzanella Salad: This is a spin on one of my dad’s recipes and is so delicious.
- Corn Salad: I could eat an entire bowl of just this for lunch.
- Easy Beet Salad: The simple flavors of this recipe are so amazing.
If you make this cucumber salad recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you.
- A Good Knife: This is my very favorite knife and the one you see me using in the video for this recipe.
- Measuring Spoons: I love these so much because they are double sided. Perfect for a busy day of cooking.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 large English Cucumbers sliced thin
- 1 small red onion sliced thin (1/2 a medium onion, 1/4 large onion)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and peper. Set aside.
- Add the sliced cucumbers and red onion to a large bowl. Toss with the dressing, and garnish with more fresh dill.
- While you can serve this salad right away, I think it is best after refrigerating for 1 to 2 hours. I do not recommend making this salad ahead of time.