This Beet Salad Recipe only has three ingredients and is such a light and perfect summer side dish! You will love this fantastic salad enough to make a meal out of it.
If you aren’t a beet lover, prepare to be converted. I haven’t always loved beets, but in the last few years, I’ve absolutely fallen in love with this amazing and delicious root vegetable. It is sweet, delicious, and when prepared well can even taste like a sweet treat.
This easy beet salad is only a few ingredients and can be made ahead of time. It makes a perfect super side dish, or double the recipe and bring it to a picnic for an easy dish to pass.
You will notice that I call this a three ingredient beet salad. The reason for this is that it is perfectly delicious with just beets, feta, and basil. But you can kick it up a notch by adding vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. The choice is yours!
This recipe is a keeper!
How to Make Beet Salad
This is a brief overview of this fast salad. For the full recipe with all of the ingredients and measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Roast the beets. We have a great tutorial on how to roast beets and more information on this below.
- Toss the ingredients. Toss the beets, cheese, basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasonings. Taste the salad and add more salt, pepper, or a dash of vinegar to adjust to taste.
Key Ingredients for Beet Salad
As mentioned above, this recipe can really be made with just three ingredients. The dressing just kicks it up a notch.
- Roasted Beets: See below for more information.
- Feta Cheese: I love how feta tastes in this great recipe, but you could easily make this a beet and goat cheese salad by swapping in some soft goat cheese. Another great option would be some shaved parmesan like I use in my Caesar Salad.
- Fresh Basil: This ingredient is what makes this taste like summer! If you are making this in the winter months, my pro tip is to buy a basil plant (Trader Joe’s often sells them), because they are typically just a little bit more than a pack of basil and will yield much more. Keep it alive for a while and you will have enough basil to make my Homemade Pesto.
How to Cook Beets for Salad
This salad is made with roasted beets. Beets are so easy to roast at home. I have a full tutorial for you, but please know that it is beyond simple and can be done in just an hour.
I find it easiest to make these the night before so they are ready to go when you want to make this easy salad. You can also buy beets that are already roasted in cans at the grocery store. Just be sure to look at the ingredients to ensure that it is only beets before you add it to the salad.
I love to buy my beets at the farmer’s market in the summer. But they are easy to come by in the winter months at the grocery store. Look for beets that:
- Are all relatively the same size. This will allow the beets to cook at the same rate.
- Are firm to the touch. You don’t want there to be any give when you squeeze them.
If it’s going to be a few days before you make this beet salad with feta, no worries. Beets keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I like to cut all but an inch of the greens off my beets to make them fit in the fridge better.
Beet Salad Dressing
While this salad is perfectly delicious without any dressing at all, the simple ingredients we toss on here makes a great dressing. Just adding some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper is about all the dressing you need here.
Storing Beet Salad
I think this salad is best when it is freshly thrown together. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days in an air tight container. As with all recipes, use your best discretion when it comes to leftovers.
Other Summer Side Dishes
Roasted beets are great, but if you are looking for even more great sides to serve your family check out these!
- Coleslaw: This is just like your favorite fast food restaurant’s but so easy to make at home!
- Corn Salad: This is my favorite summer side dish to bring to BBQs!
- Watermelon Salad: You won’t be able to get over how great the ingredients in this dish go together!
If you make this beet salad for your family and you love it, leave me a note in the comments and let me know! I love hearing from you.
Beet Salad Recipe
- 3 roasted beets
- 2 ounces of feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves sliced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional see note)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional see note)
- salt and pepper to taste (optional see note)
- Toss all the ingredients and serve.