Creamy Garlic Dressing is so easy to make at home, and perfect for a side salad to accompany dinner. We tossed this with some Romain lettuce, and a few other vegetables and it was perfect!
When it comes to salads, two things are true for me. The first is that I really can’t get enough. They honestly are my comfort food. (Or, at least, one of many.) Second, the dressing makes the recipe.
This Creamy Garlic Dressing uses simple ingredients to make a rich and delicious salad dressing recipe you will fall in love with. Most of the ingredients are already in your refrigerator and pantry. And while you will love this dressing right after you make it, it is even better the next day.
How to Make Creamy Garlic Dressing
- Mix together the ingredients. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, ground mustard, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Taste to balance the flavors. After mixing this, you may decide that you’d like a little more garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, or lemon. Go slowly when adding these, I recommend less than 1/4 teaspoon, then mix well, and taste again.
Storing Garlic Dressing
How Much Milk to Add
How much milk you add to this recipe will entirely depend on how thick you like your salad dressing. I suggest starting with 1/2 a cup and adding more from there. I ended up adding 1/4 cup more to get the pourable dressing you see here.
There are quite a few acidic ingredients in this recipe, which give it a great tang. We are using sugar, not to get rid of that tang, but to balance the acidity of those ingredients. Please note that it is 1/4 teaspoon in 2 cups of salad dressing.
Yes! I used low fat sour cream and low fat mayonnaise. I do not, however, recommend using fat free.
You can substitute the yogurt for sour cream. If it is an issue of dairy, I suggest using a non dairy plain yogurt.
If you use low fat mayonnaise and low fat sour cream, this salad dressing has 20 calories per tablespoon. If you use full fat of both, it will be closer to 45 calories per tablespoon.
Other Great Salad Dressings
We have quite a few salad dressings, and I love them all! If you are particularly in love with creamy salad dressings, try these:
If you make this creamy garlic salad dressing recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Creamy Garlic Dressing
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream, I do not recommend fat free)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayonnaise, I do not recommend fat free)
- 1/2 cup skim milk (add up to 1/4 cup more to get the desired consistency)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Whisk together the ingredients.
- Taste to balance the flavors. You may decide that the recipe needs more garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, or lemon juice. Add them slowly (about 1/4 teaspoon at a time or less), and taste before adding more or anything else.
- Use right away or store in the refrigerator for up to four days.