This Balsamic Dressing is a simple and easy recipe, that anyone can make at home! Slightly sweet and deliciously tangy, you will fall in love with this recipe.
I am making so many salads these days to go on the sides of the summer dishes we are whipping up. But, truthfully, I love salads for lunch all year and my favorite dressing is always a Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing.
Balsamic Dressing is my absolute favorite! I feel like it goes so perfectly on so many different salads. You will love this easy balsamic dressing recipe, it is only 5 ingredients! It is perfect, and can even be used as a marinade!
Balsamic Dressing Ingredients
Homemade Salad Dressings often sound tricky, but truthfully, they are usually just a few ingredients. This one is no different! It is only five ingredients and you probably already have most of them.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Make sure that you use a quality olive oil when you are making salad dressings as it is the bulk of the dressing.
- Balsamic Vinegar: The dark, rich, concentrated vinegar is so flavorful and blends perfectly with the olive oil to create a decadent dressing.
- Honey Mustard: This gives a nice subtle sweetness to the dressing recipe. If you don’t have it on hand you can use with brown mustard or yellow mustard and add 1/4 teaspoon more sugar or a little honey.
- Garlic Cloves: Make sure to get this as finely minced as possible. You could use a lemon zester.
- Sugar: Just like a little salt enhances a recipe, the tiny bit of sugar in this recipe really balances the rich flavor of the balsamic vinegar.
- Salt & Pepper: Finally, the salt and pepper in this recipe pull all of the other flavors together.
How to Make Balsamic Dressing
You can combine all of the ingredients in a mason jar and give it a good shake.
I think it works really well to whisk the ingredients together though to make sure the mustard incorporates all the way and the salt and the pepper really dissolve.
Making the Perfect Salad for Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
This salad dressing goes well with so many different ingredients, but these are my typical favorites:
- Mixed greens: You could use kale, arugula, baby spinach, butterhead lettuce, leaf lettuce, romaine, any kind you like.
- Feta Cheese: Feta is perfect for salads because while mild, it also has a tangy, slightly salty flavor that gives the salad a little bulk without weighing down the other ingredients. But you can use any cheese you like. Other great options are goat cheese, mozzarella, or shaved parmesan.
- Red onion: Other great onions that pull out sweetness in salads are scallions and shallots. If you want to make the onion more mild, soak it in the balsamic vinegar dressing before adding it.
- Kalamata Olives: These gorgeous, dark purple olives have a meaty texture that taste so delicious in this Greek style salad. You can use regular black olives or green olives too.
- Cucumbers: I really love using the seedless variety, but you can use any kind you like.
Other great ideas include: tomatoes, red peppers, avocado, artichoke hearts, and some protein like chickpeas, chicken, or steak.
Take your salad over the top by doubling the recipe for this salad dressing and marinating your meat in the extra for 2 hours before grilling it.
How to Store Balsamic Dressing
This dressing can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week. You will need to let it sit out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before using it. Additionally, it will need another good shake before you add it to your salads.
More Dressing Recipes
Once you start making your own dressings, I promise you’ll never reach for a bottle of the store bought stuff again! They’re so easy and delicious! Try some of these other recipes:
- Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Spinach Salad Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing Recipe
- Ranch Dressing
I hope you enjoy this fresh, zesty and slightly sweet balsamic dressing. Try it on grilled chicken, veggie kabobs or a simple salad!
Let me know what you think of this recipe, by leaving me a comment below. I love hearing from you! Enjoy!
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake or whisk together.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.