This easy Hash Brown Egg Casserole recipe is full of amazing flavors. It’s such perfect breakfast comfort food that you will want to make for your family again and again. Serve it with my crustless spinach quiche, apple carrot zucchini muffins and this perfect Bloody Mary Mix.
Have you guys gotten on board with the Marie Kondo decluttering movement? I need to, in like a major way. We are having our basement finished this spring, and we aren’t at like a level four hoarders situation or anything, but it is safe to say that we have way too much stuff. Blog props alone are kind of threatening to take over the basement. So I realize that this is a movement that I need to jump on board with quickly, but oh man, decluttering is literally the last way I want to spend my time.
I would much rather head to a thrift store and look at what no longer sparked joy for other people and maybe find myself with a brand new tray to photograph on or some funky old garlic press to put in the background of a picture. Is it becoming clear to you why I have a problem?
If you were like me and then were suddenly able to get on board with this movement, will you leave me a comment telling me what made the shift for you?
EASY HASH BROWN EGG CASSEROLE
Something that does always spark joy for me is sharing delicious recipes with all of you. This bacon hash brown casserole recipe has been on my blog for a long time, and I recently decided that I wanted to tweak it just a little, make sure it was perfect, and share it with all of you again. I even went and added a video (you can find that in the recipe below), so that you can see how simple it is.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
So, I hesitate a little to call this Hash Brown Egg Casserole easy because there is this putsy step at the beginning where you cook the breakfast sausage, drain the fat, and then cook the bacon. It is a little time consuming, but it is definitely not difficult. So, the easy title can stand, but this is not a quick recipe.
- Cook the sausage and then cook the bacon.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, and spices.
- Add in the red pepper, onion, cooked sausage, cooked bacon, cheese, and hash browns. Mix it all together
- Put it in a baking dish, add more cheese, cover, and bake.
- Bake a little more at the very end uncovered.
See! Very easy. This sausage hash brown casserole would be a great recipe to have your kids help with because besides the cooking of the meat, they could do a lot of it themselves. My kiddos love helping in the kitchen. I bought them these knives and they can even help chop veggies then.
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS FOR THIS HASH BROWN EGG CASSEROLE
DO I HAVE TO THAW THE HASH BROWNS?
Yes and no. I have made this recipe without first thawing them, and it does cook fine. But the end result is a pile of casserole on your plate, not cut squares. Additionally, the recipe ends up a bit watery. It will taste fine, but it won’t look as pleasant or have the consistency you are going for.
CAN I MAKE THIS HASHBROWN CASSEROLE THE NIGHT BEFORE?
An overnight breakfast casserole with hash browns sounds even easier, right? Yes. You can make this the night before. Just leave the cheese off the top until right before you are putting it in the oven.
WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD OF PEPPERS AND ONIONS?
If your family is opposed to those, I would just leave them out. Otherwise some cooked spinach or parboiled broccoli would be delicious in this!
OTHER GREAT BREAKFAST RECIPES
- HAM AND CHEESE OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- BERRY FRENCH TOAST
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- NON ALCOHOLIC MIMOSAS
Hash Brown Egg Casserole
- 1/2 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 5 slices thick cut bacon diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/2 a medium onion diced
- 24 ounces frozen hash browns thawed and drained (see note)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Crystal Farms mild cheddar cheese divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the breakfast sausage until cooked through. Drain and set aside. Cook the diced bacon in the same skillet, until crisp. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Mix in the eggs, red pepper, onion, milk, one cup of the cheddar cheese, sausage, bacon, and spices. Mix in the hash browns.
- Pour the entire mixture into the casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes and enjoy!
did you make this
Hash Brown Egg Casserole
Other great breakfast recipes:
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
Hashbrowns and cheese – my love language!
Susan Moseley says
I love a good breakfast casserole and cheese from Crystal Farms cheese tops it all off.
Lisa Longley says
I totally agree Susan!
I so want to try this, looks ???? delicious , can I freeze leftovers?
Lisa Longley says
So my only concern with freezing this is the cheese. I would instead suggest trying to tweak the recipe a little to make a half batch.
Lisa Olson says
Have you ever tried making this the night before and storing in the refrigerator? I’m afraid the potatoes might get too soggy. But I love casseroles I can make the night before!
Jeff Shft says
My partner served me this egg casserole today. And I tell you, all my stress just disappeared. This is heaven. Thanks for this.