Homemade Cookie Butter is easy to make. This delicious recipe has three ingredients and can be used to replace cookie butter in recipes!
What is Cookie Butter
If you’ve never had Cookie Butter before, think about peanut butter. Now take out the peanuts, and put delicious ginger snapish type cookies in its place. That is what you get with cookie butter. A delicious, gingersnap flavored dessert butter.
You can find it at Trader Joe’s labeled Cookie Butter. You can find it at WalMart, Target, Walgreens, and anywhere that has a decent international section of food (like World Market) as Biscoff Spread.
How to Make Homemade Cookie Butter
This is a brief overview of how to make this delicious recipe. For the full recipe with all of the measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Grind up the gingersnap cookies. A food processor works best for this so that you get a very fine crumb.
- Add in the oil. You want to add it slowly so that it fully combines with the crumbs.
- Add in a little sugar.
- Let it sit. Transfer the cookie butter to a mason jar or other storage container and let it sit for at least 4 to 8 hours.
Homemade Cookie Butter Notes
- The consistency of homemade cookie butter and store bought is really different. Store bought is great with a spoon out of the container. While I wouldn’t do that with this, it works great as a replacement in recipes.
- Its helpful to use gingersnaps that are hard, because they will blend up better.
- When using this to replace store-bought cookie butter in a recipe, you can replace it one for one and it works really well. You can the Cookie Butter Butterscotch Fudge I made with the homemade version of cookie butter in the photos here.
Storing and Freezing
This recipe will store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. It can be stored at room temperature. As with all recipes, use your best discretion when it comes to leftovers.
This recipe also freezes well. Store it in an air tight container, with room for it to expand, in the freezer for up to three months.
Homemade Cookie Butter
- 16 ounces ginger snaps store-bought harder cookies work best in this recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Grind the ginger snaps in a food processor until they are very fine.
- Add the vegetable oil slowly and lit it fully combine with the crumbs, scraping down the sides of the food processor as needed.
- Add the sugar.
- Put in a mason jar or other container and let sit for several hours (or overnight) before using in a recipe.