Learn how to roast beets in this easy tutorial. This amazing burgundy beauty will steal your heart and you will be adding beets to everything. Oven roasted beets are a great side dish with a few added ingredients in this Easy Beet Salad or a perfect addition to a Roasted Beet Salad.
One of the things that I love buying at the Farmer’s Market most in the summer is beets! But if I’m being honest, I buy and eat them all year long. Roasted beets are so easy to make, that I find myself doing it on a weekly basis so that I can add beets to my salads. They are such a sweet and delicious addition. Read on and you will see how nutritious they are too. Like a super vegetable flying in to save the day.
Recently I brought my Roasted Beet Salad to a gathering, and someone asked me if I parboil my beets first. Nope. That sounds like a holy hassle. I just roast them up, dice them, and have them all week in the refrigerator to add to salads.
HOW TO ROAST BEETS IN THE OVEN
Roasting beets could not be more simple:
- Cut off the tops and bottoms.
- Scrub the beet well.
- Wrap each beet in foil.
- Roast them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pull them out of the oven, unwrap them and peel off the skin.
When you are roasting beets, there are only a few things you need
- A good scrub brush
- A paring knife
- Tin foil
- A baking sheet
- Parchment paper
HOW TO PREPARE BEETS
Start by cutting off the tops and the bottom root.
Then give them a really good scrub and wrap them up in foil.
After wrapping them in foil, I like to line my baking sheet with parchment paper. This way if the beet juice leaks from the foil, you have less mess to clean up.
WHEN ARE ROASTED BEETS DONE?
Bake them for about an hour at 400 degrees. How long to roast beets varies from oven to oven and beet to beet, with bigger beets needing more time. I like to poke mine with a toothpick after an hour and get a sense of how soft they are. If it was really hard to insert the toothpick, then I give them another 10 to 15 minutes.
HOW TO PEEL A ROASTED BEET
After they are done cooking, I let them cool to the touch. Then you can easily just peel the skin right off. It’s like magic and I’m weirdo, but there is something super satisfying about it.
They are easiest to peel if you let them sit still wrapped in the tin foil for about 10 minutes and then peel immediately after taking the foil off. If you want to avoid pink fingers, wear gloves while peeling.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH OVEN ROASTED BEETS
As I mentioned, my favorite way to use roasted beets is in a simple salad, but there are so many other great uses for them!
- pizza topping
- taco filling
HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE ROASTED BEETS?
Store your beets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to about a week.
FUN BEET NUTRITION FACTS
Beets aren’t just a delicious way to think about Dwight and Schrutte Farms. They are also:
- Low in calories for all the nutritional benefits and vitamins and minerals they offer.
- A great source of fiber.
- Have the potential to reduce your blood pressure and risk of heart disease.
The research on the benefits of beets are super fascinating. If you are looking to improve your over all health, adding beets to your diet is a great place to start.
OTHER GREAT RECIPES USING ROASTED VEGETABLES
- Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Honey Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
How to Roast Beets
- 1 pound beets
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scrub the beets clean.
- Cut off the top greens and the bottom root. Wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Bake for one hour.
- After an hour insert with a toothpick. If you can insert it easily, they are done. If not, bake for another 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of the beet) until you can insert the toothpick easily.
- After cooking, allow them to cool to the touch, then gently peel off the skin and discard. Slice and use to top salads or enjoy on their own!
Other great side dishes!