This Watermelon Rum Punch is going to be your new favorite party drink. It combines the perfect flavors of watermelon, pineapple, and rum for a delicious and amazing treat. You can even leave the rum on the side and make it a great kid friendly drink.
One of my favorite things to create is pool side party cocktails. Something about making a big beutiful pitcher of drinks that all my friends can enjoy with me is so fun and exciting. This Watermelon Rum Punch totally fits that bill. It comes together so simply but is so delicious.
WHAT IS RUM PUNCH
Recently some of my friends took a vacation in the Caribbean and they all came back obsessed with Rum Punch. They said that each restaurant they went to had a different spin on it.
Historically speaking rum punch fits this old rhyme: “One of Sour, Two of Sweet, Three of Strong, Four of Weak.” One of sour is one part lime juice. Two of sweet is two parts sweetener. Three of strong is three parts rum, and four of weak is water.
This version of rum punch doesn’t fit the historical rhyme, but does have all the necessary parts: Lime juice, watermelon and pineapple juice to sweeten things up, rum, and some soda which helps the juice sweeten things up and also thins thing out a little.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE WATERMELON RUM PUNCH?
Start with six cups of cubed watermelon. If you buy a big seedless watermelon from the store, you will have no problem getting six cups out of there with left overs to make pretty wedge garnishes. Two cups will stay cubed, and four cups will get blended and strained to be the juice added to the punch.
Next you need a can of pineapple chunks in juice. You are going to add the entire thing to the punch.
Add lime juice. This is our sour! We need 1/4 cup, which is approximately 2 freshly squeezed limes. Tip: Buy four limes in case one or two aren’t juicy enough.
Of course we need rum. Plain white rum is what works best in this recipe. If you experiment with other flavors of rum, let me know how it goes!
Thin it out with some lemon lime soda. I’m talking Sprite, 7Up, or something in that family.
TO MAKE WATERMELON RUM PUNCH
- First blend and strain your watermelon. It’s tempting to skip the straining step, but please don’t. If you do, your punch will separate and won’t look pretty. You could also freeze your watermelon cubes that you are throwing in (2 cups) to act as fun ice cubes and keep the drink chilled.
- Next you are just going to mix all the ingredients together!
If you try this and it is too sweet for your liking, replace one of the cups of soda with club soda.
Love this, but want to add more rum? Go for it!
Want to jazz it up a little? Slice up some kiwi and mango to throw in there too!
OTHER GREAT SUMMER SIPS
If you are hosting a party and want to make another pitcher of cocktails that will pair well with this one here are a few suggestions:
- MOJITO SANGRIA: It sticks with the Caribbean rum vibe, but throws in some wine for the wine lovers!
- PINK LEMONADE VODKA PUNCH: This recipe could not be easier and is the perfect last minute party cocktail.
- STRAWBERRY MARGARITAS: A frozen margarita recipe that everyone loves.
If you make this great rum punch recipe for your party guests, make sure to leave me a comment letting me know what you think.
Watermelon Rum Punch
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks and juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup white rum
- 2 cups lemon lime soda refrigerated
- Blend together four cups of the watermelon and strain.
- In a large pitcher, stir together the watermlon juice, the juice from the pineapple, lime juice and white rum.
- Stir in the watermelon and pineapple. Refrigerate the pitcher for one hour. (Make sure the soda is also refrigerated at this time.)
- Add the 2 cups of soda just before serving.