This New York Sour combines two favorites into one rich tasting drink. If you love red wine and whiskey, there’s no need to choose. Put them together in one classy cocktail!
This New York Sour cocktail first came to be when I received a bottle of whiskey as a gift from a dear friend. In the process of thanking her, I asked her (as a joke) if she thought you could combine red wine and whiskey and she said YES! Turns out she had a martini made with simple syrup, red wine, lemon juice and whiskey in Milwaukee years ago and loved it. So I tried it. And friends, it’s just as amazing as I’m sure you are thinking it would NOT be. Because when I tell people about this cocktail they look at me like I am insane. Normal humans pick whiskey or red wine. Not both. At the same time. But I am here to tell you it’s fabulous! And strong. And completely delicious.
Have you ever combined two unexpected cocktails to create a new one? I would love to hear your ideas! Please leave me a message in the comments below!
WHAT IS IN A NEW YORK SOUR?
This cocktail recipe has been given a number of names over the years. At the Milwaukee bar it was originally served at it was something like The New Yorker. My darling friend, Erin wanted to call it Mixed Emotions™. This recipe is a twist on the classic New York Sour. Here’s what you need:
- Your favorite red wine. I used a blend, but you can use any kind you like.
- Rye whiskey or you can use bourbon. Use a high quality whiskey for this cocktail. My favorite is Knob Creek. Delicious!
- Lemon juice. It can be lemon juice from the bottle or use freshly squeezed lemon. Your choice.
- Simple syrup. If you’ve never made my simple syrup recipe, try it! Easily made in a snap, you will use it in a million different cocktail recipes. It makes anything more smooth, sweet, so good!
- A classic New York Sour can also include an egg white, but that is completely optional.
HOW TO MIX AND SERVE A NEW YORK SOUR COCKTAIL
I’ve seen New York Sour recipes that tell you to add all the ingredients together except the wine, shake with ice, then pour into a rocks glass filled with ice. In this method, you pour the wine over the top of a spoon so it floats on top. That is gorgeous but I prefer to keep things a little more simple, friends. Here’s what to do for this wine and whiskey combination:
- Combine all the ingredients together: whiskey, wine, lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Blend them all together.
- Give all those delicious flavors time to sit together, then serve this cocktail at room temperature.
MORE CLASSY COCKTAIL RECIPES
Love wine and whiskey? You will love these delicious cocktails:
- Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- Cranberry Orange Mulled Wine
- Whiskey Sour Cocktail
- Fireball Whiskey Punch
- Whiskey Smash
- Cinnamon Whiskey Sangria Recipe
This New York Sour, with its unexpected combination of rich whiskey and wine is the most flavorful drink I have had in a long time! Try it and you’ll be hooked. I would love to hear what you think of this cocktail! Leave me a comment below and enjoy this glorious drink. Cheers!
New York Sour
- 4 oz red wine I used a blend
- 2 oz whiskey Use a high quality whiskey, like Knob Creek
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP simple syrup
- Blend all ingredients together and serve room temperature.