An Alabama Slammer is the perfect refreshing cocktail. Made with only four ingredients, you will love this fruity and simple drink!
Looking for the perfect cocktail? Look no further than my Alabama Slammer recipe! Made with ingredients that are easy to keep on hand, you are going to want to sip this for the rest of the summer and into the fall.
What is an Alabama Slammer?
A well-known high-ball cocktail, the history of the Alabama Slammer is that it originated in the South. Some say that former Packer quarterback, Brett Farve invented the drink, however, it has been popular since the early 1980s.
The Alabama Slammer drink contains a fruity yet refreshing flavor and bright red hue. Perfect for sipping on the patio or enjoying on a warm day.
Alabama Slammer Ingredients
Four ingredients are all you need to make the refreshing Alabama Slammer recipe. Simple to make at home, you’ll have your feet up with a cocktail in hand in no time. Gather the following:
- Amaretto: A sweet, almond-flavored liqueur made from apricot kernels, bitter almonds, or peach stones. You can make your own Homemade Amaretto which also makes for a great gift. Use it in our popular Amaretto Sour.
- Sloe Gin: A bright red liqueur made with gin and sloe berries. While quite bitter on its own, when infused in gin sloe berries create a liqueur that takes on the best qualities of the berry, including the tartness and color. Need another cocktail to use your Sloe Gin? Try our Sloe Gin Fizz.
- Southern Comfort: This whiskey liqueur is infused with fruits and spices yielding a sweet flavor. Use it to make our Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail too!
- Orange juice: Freshly squeezed is always ideal for fresher and better tasting cocktails, but store-bought orange juice will work as well. Want to make sure you always have orange juice on hand? Buy small bottles that will store well in your pantry.
How to Make an Alabama Slammer
The flavors of each ingredient combine to create a drink that is fruity and bold. Here is a brief overview of how to make an Alabama Slammer drink. For full the measurements and recipe, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Combine liqueurs. Add equal parts Amaretto, Sloe Gin, and Southern Comfort to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Give it a good shake. Shake well and pour into a glass of ice.
- Add the orange juice. Top with orange juice and garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.
Alabama Slammer Shot
If you like this recipe but you’d rather turn these into party shots, that is super easy.
- Combine equal parts of all the ingredients. If you keep the recipe as written (1 ounce Amaretto, 1 ounce Southern Comfort, 1 ounce Amaretto, and 1 ounce orange juice) you will have four 1 ounce shots.
- Shake with ice. Add all of the ingredients to a metal shaker with ice. Shake it until you feel the shaker drop in temperature.
- Pour into four shot glasses and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Make it less sweet. Swap the Southern Comfort out for bourbon for a less sweet cocktail.
- Double up on the ice. Make sure to serve with lots of ice to keep the drink very cold.
- Get top notch ingredients. It is especially helpful to use a good quality Sloe Gin as a poor-quality option may make the drink overly sweet.
- Don’t miss out on the garnishments. Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
Other Refreshing Cocktails
Did you try this recipe or any of my others? Leave a review and let me know what you think!
- 1 ounce Amaretto
- 1 ounce Sloe Gin
- 1 ounce Southern Comfort
- orange juice (1 to 2 ounces)
- In a shaker filled with ice, add the Amaretto, Sloe Gin, and Southern Comfort.
- Shake well. You will know it is ready when the metal shaker starts to feel cold.
- Pour into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with orange juice, garnish with an orange slice and a cherry, and enjoy!