Baked Burritos are a simple dinner recipe you can do so much with. Made with just a few ingredients, these burritos are smothered in salsa and cheese and then baked up for a comforting dinner.
I’m unreasonably excited to share this dinner recipe with you today. This is a recipe that my mom made for my family all the time growing up. It barely counts as a recipe, but that’s maybe why she made it so often. It is easy and delicious.
Recently, when I asked my followers what types of recipes they would like to see more of, meatless dinners were at the top of the list. With the price of meat going up every day, I can totally appreciate why everyone is looking for more meat free dinners.
While these Baked Burritos are naturally meatless, they do not scream vegetarian. They get great protein from the refried beans, while keeping this an affordable dinner that everyone will love.
I made this for dinner tonight. Delish. I used keto tortillas and used ground beef instead of refried beans. I love that this recipe had choices. My hubby liked it too. Thank you! I will be making it again.
How to Make Baked Burritos
- Prepare your baking dish. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Then spread a small amount of salsa on the bottom of the dish – just enough to thinly coat it.
- Construct the burritos. For this recipe we are adding just a few things to each burrito – refried beans, green chiles, onions, and black olives. Roll it up and place it seam side down in the baking dish.
- Finish off the baked burrito casserole. Once all the burritos are rolled and in the casserole dish, cover them with the remaining salsa and cheese. Then cover and bake.
If you would like to add meat to this recipe to round it out a little further, you certainly can. I suggest using one of the two following recipes for adding either beef or chicken. Follow the rest of the recipe as written, keeping in mind that with the added filling, you will only be able to fit 8 burritos in the baking dish.
Crockpot Taco Chicken
Taco Meat Recipe
You can definitely make this baked burrito recipe ahead of time. Assemble everything up to 24 hours in advance, then cover and put it in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to bake, take them out of the refrigerator and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
You can also freeze this recipe.
- Use a disposable baking dish to make the recipe. (This way you can go right from the freezer to the oven without worrying about your casserole dish breaking.)
- Make the baked burritos through step 4.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and then wrap three times with plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for up to three months.
- When you are ready to bake the burritos, take them out of the freezer, take off the plastic wrap, and put them frozen and covered with foil into a preheated oven.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the center of the dish is 140 degrees.
What to Serve with Baked Burritos
I think these are pretty much a meal on their own, but if you want to round things out further, here a few suggestions.
If you make these oven baked burritos, or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- 24 ounces salsa
- 10 burrito tortillas (8 inches)
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 4 ounces green chiles drained
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Please note that these are naturally vegetarian. If you would like to add meat, read how to do that here.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of the baking dish with just enough salsa that the entire bottom is covered.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, add a little less than 1/4 cup of refried beans to the tortilla. Add some green chiles, black olives, and onions. Top with a tablespoon of shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla and place it seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with all of the tortillas.
- Cover the tortillas with the remaining salsa and cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. We find it easiest to cut in the middle and dish up two halves at once. Serve the burritos with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and jalapeños.