Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

4.88 from 25 votes

posted: 03/08/20

This easy Beef and Broccoli recipe is made on the stovetop and is done in under 25 minutes. Your family will love this simple and easy recipe.

I don’t know if I can think about broccoli at all – for the rest of time – without remembering the time I convinced my daughter (age 2 at the time) to think of her broccoli as zebras running for their lives from a lion.

She was the lion.

She literally started growling at her broccoli and devoured every last piece.

Now she eats broccoli without morphing into a predator. And she absolutely loved this Beef and Broccoli. She devoured it. Like a lion.

This easy skillet dinner is going to become a huge win in your house too. My favorite part about it is that it is done in just under 25 minutes! It will make you feel like no matter how busy your life is, you can create a warm home cooked meal for the family.

Reader Review

I have made this a couple or more times. It’s easy & quick to prepare. I like this for a quick meal. It will be my go to recipe.

HOW TO MAKE BEEF AND BROCCOLI

This fast dinner comes together in a skillet right on the stove top.

First, cook the beef. Heat the oil in the skillet and then add the thinly cut flat iron steak. Just stir it occasionally and cook it until it is no longer pink, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Then make the sauce. I like to whisk together the sauce for this recipe while the beef is cooking. It cuts a little of the prep time on this recipe.

Now, cook the broccoli. Remove the beef from the skillet. Add in the chopped broccoli. You may need to add a little more oil to the skillet if the broccoli starts to brown too quickly.

Finally, bring it all together. After the broccoli is tender, about four minutes, add the beef back in and then add in the sauce. You are going to cook just until the sauce thickens up, about two to three minutes.

Done! Serve over rice and enjoy.

overhead photo of two white plates with white rice and beef and broccoli stir fry with a wire cooling rack in the background and a cloth blue napkin

WHAT BEEF TO USE

In this recipe we are using Flat Iron Steak because of how tender and well marbled it is.

By using this cut of meat, we are able to skip marinading it, cutting down on the time necessary for this recipe.

This cut of meat is best when it is cooked to medium, so be careful not to over cook it.

A NOTE ABOUT SOY SAUCE

Salt is that great ingredient that can pull an entire recipe together. But over do it and you have something you can’t even eat.

The same thing goes for soy sauce, the base of the beef and broccoli sauce. Because of that, you want to use a low sodium soy sauce.

If that is not something you have on hand, no need to worry. Just swap out 1/2 cup of low sodium sauce for 1/3 cup regular soy sauce + 2 2/3 tablespoons water. Or, fill up a 1 cup class measuring cup with soy sauce to the 1/3 mark and then fill it up to 1/2 cup mark with water.

Does that make sense? Probably could not have made that more complicated if I tried.

overhead photo of a gray skillet on a wire cool rack with a blue napkin holding beef and broccoli garnished with scallions

OTHER GREAT SKILLET DINNERS

I’m on a skillet dinner kick lately, and if you want to join the party, try some of these great recipes:

If you like this easy beef and broccoli recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know!

two small white plates stack with white rice and easy beef and broccoli on top of it, the rest of the skillet in the background
4.88 from 25 votes

Easy Beef and Broccoli

Serves: 4 servings
(tap # to scale)
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 13 minutes
Total: 23 minutes
This easy Beef and Broccoli recipe is made on the stovetop and is done in under 30 minutes. Your family will love this simple and easy recipe.

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound flat iron steak sliced thin
  • 1 head of broccoli cut into florets approximately 4 cups
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce see note 1
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 – 2 teaspoons chili paste (we normally buy this) see note 2
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional

Instructions

• Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Remove it from the pan.
  • While the beef is cooking, whisk together the soy sauce, corn starch, brown sguar, ginger, garlic, chili paste, and red pepper flakes.
  • Add the broccoli and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add more oil as needed so the broccoli does not burn.
  • Return the meat to the pan, and stir in the sauce. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about three minutes. Serve with rice.

Notes

1. If you don’t have low sodium soy sauce on hand, use 1/3 cup soy sauce and the rest water to make 1/2 cup total liquid.
  2. If you like your dishes spicy, make sure to add two teaspoons of chili paste. Just 1 teaspoon will give it just a small, nice little kick.
  3. Please note that the nutritional information does not include the rice.
Calories: 364kcal (18%) Carbohydrates: 12g (4%) Protein: 24g (48%) Fat: 23g (35%) Saturated Fat: 9g (56%) Monounsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 81mg (27%) Sodium: 1439mg (63%) Potassium: 296mg (8%) Fiber: 2g (8%) Sugar: 3g (3%) Vitamin A: 28IU (1%) Vitamin C: 82mg (99%) Calcium: 47mg (5%) Iron: 16mg (89%)
Author: Lisa Longley
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: asian

did you make this

Easy Beef and Broccoli

I’d love to see what you made! Tag me @lisasimplejoy and hashtag it #simplejoyrecipes!

Rate This Recipe:

1. Teresa Legler says

Hi LIsa, I love Beef with Broccoli, but the sodium is more than my maximum daily allowance of 1140mg daily. Saw your suggestion for diluting regular soy sauce, wondering if way to dilute even more. Kidney Disease is a challenge. thanks for all of your wonderful recipes.

I would give it a try for sure. Since you are on a low sodium diet, you won’t miss the salt, your taste buds are likely already used to it. But I would probably increase the ginger, garlic, and chili paste just a little to give it a bump in flavor.

2. Arlen Smithe says

My son won’t eat broccoli so I will sub green peppers instead. I love broccoli and I will put some in for me. It looks delicious.

3. Teresa Legler says

Thanks Lisa,
    Just found your response in my “Junk” mailbox!
    I will try your suggestions.
    Thanks for your wonderful recipes. Due to diet restrictions have to adjust spices & sodium.
    Blessings from Shreveport,LA

4. Joey says

3 stars
    The recipe is not bad but I would half the amount of soy sauce used and add some rice wine vinegar. It was suoer salty when I made it.

5. Kenna says

I love the recipe also and it is on the menu. Chili paste is a broad term. Not exactly sure what to buy- sweet, hot, mild? Like most AMERICANS salt is an issue. Even low sodium soy sauce is only minimally better than regular. So hard because Asian food is so very delicious.

Good point, Kenna! I added a link to the brand of chili paste we use.

6. Laura Denise Monroe says

5 stars
    I ran out of soy sauce so replaced it with Worcestershire sauce and extra chili sauce, Yummy

I never would have thought of that as a swap. I’m glad it worked for you!

7. Jess says

I absolutely love this recipe and my kids love it as well! I have made it with the broccoli and without, I always add bell peppers (red, green and yellow) and onions to this recipe. I also use worcheshire sauce with the soy (I don’t do a full 1/2 of soy). I also cook my steak in a couple splashes of Worcestershire and teriyaki sauce. Definitely a hit and a keeper recipe!!

I’m so glad your family enjoys this recipe!

8. Diane M Meier says

how do you make chili paste

I don’t! I purchase it. This is my favorite brand: Chili Paste.

9. Ann says

5 stars
    Absolutely the best Asian dish ever! We’ve made this with sirloin (sliced thinly) and with chicken breast. My daughter made it for her family and her picky 19 month old son licked his plate! The sauce is spot on. Lunch friends said it smelled just like take out. Bonus is its very low points on weight watchers with the chicken! This will be made weekly!

I’m so happy that it is such a hit for your family, Ann!

10. Kathy Lucy says

5 stars
    I have been hunting for your type of easy, healthy meals, and I am so happy I have found your recipes. Thank You so much. Foods of all kinds have been turning me off since I have been recovering from Covid. At my age, this has become serious and I am fighting to win. Doctors recommend small meals, simple meals with only a few ingrediences, mainly vegetables. Seriously, I am down to 93lbs but have the heart and mind to get back to real health. Do any of your recipes fall in the group of people getting their health back after Covid. (no cancer found) I am sure there are hundreds of other Covid patients with the same problem. No taste buds, Soo tired, but still smileing Kathy

Kathy, first, I am so so sorry for what you are going through. That sounds horrific. My low carb recipes probably fit the bill most. Next, I would suggest just pursuing my dinner recipes and running with anything that looks remotely good to you. My recipes (by and large) have instructions for leftovers and a lot of them are freezer friendly. I think it’s a great idea to make a full dinner and then freeze the leftovers in smaller portions so when you have zero energy, you still have recipes waiting for you. Stuffed Peppers would be especially good for this. They freeze great in individual portions. Sending you lots of love and good vibes for fast healing!