This is the best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe! This easy spin on classic banana bread together easily and is such a popular recipe in my house! It is moist, delicious, and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
So, this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is something I’ve had on my blog for a long time. And for some reason I had it in my head that my kids don’t really like banana bread. Don’t ask me why, because I legit have no idea what led me to believe that. Probably one gave me a dirty look one time when I suggested banana bread, and I was so deeply offended that I never made it again. Or something less immature and ridiculous.
But! I loooooooove banana bread. And I recently was posting pictures from this post on social media and decide that this post needed a photo update and a video. So I made a loaf. Actually, I made two loaves because I decided that the original recipe (which called for mini chocolate chips) didn’t photograph as well as the one with full chocolate chips. This was right in the middle of a Cold-a-gedon when we were all trapped in the house together.
My kids: YOU MADE BANANA BREAD?!?!?! CAN WE HAVE SOME?!?!?
Me: Huh? *head tilted like a confused Scooby Doo*
You guys. They like Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Like a lot.
WHAT MAKES THIS THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- It comes together with just a few simple ingredients. I bet you have most of them already.
- The prep time on this recipe is only 10 minutes. Which means that you can easily make this for a perfect afternoon snack for children who love banana bread.
- This banana bread recipe uses yogurt, which keeps it absolutely moist and delicious.
- You guys. It tastes like cake. CAKE.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- Measure your flour properly. This is key in all baking recipes. Make sure that you scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off. If you scoop right from the flour container you will get too much and you will have a chocolate chip banana bread recipe fail.
- Make sure that your melted butter has cooled. If you don’t do that, you run the risk of your eggs starting to cook when they get mixed with the hot butter. No one wants that.
- Use baking soda that is still good. Baking soda needs to be switched out every six months or so. Test it by adding a little to some vinegar. It should bubble immediately, if not replace it.
- If you want the top to have a really appealing look, throw a couple extra chocolate chips on before putting it in the oven.
- Test the bread with a toothpick towards the end. Do not insert it directly in the middle of the bread, but slightly off to the side. You want the toothpick to come out clean. If you wait until the top comes out clean, you will risk the edges of the bread being dry. I would rather have a little bit of a gooey top (yummy) than dry sides (yucky). My oven requires 55 minutes for perfect bread.
I DON’T LIKE YOGURT, CAN I LEAVE IT OUT?
Nope, please don’t do that. The yogurt is like the key and secret ingredient in this recipe. If you leave it out, it will throw everything off. I promise you won’t taste the yogurt. I have two kids who gag at the sight of yogurt, and they can eat an entire loaf of this bread themselves.
If you really don’t like adding yogurt you can replace it with sour cream and the recipe will still work great.
CAN I TURN THIS RECIPE INTO CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS?
You sure can! With a few little tweaks this recipe becomes amazing Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed well (see note)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 TBSPS unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs at room temperature and lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan well with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the bananas, cooled butter, eggs, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix
- Stir in the chocolate chips until just combined.
- Pour the bread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted slightly off center in the bread comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack for 35 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
If you are looking for more quick bread: