This Chicken Taco Casserole is comfort food at it’s finest! Easy to make, packed with flavor, and totally delicious!
Chicken Taco Casserole
Tacos are always a popular option when it comes to mealtime. And casseroles seem to be the quintessential comfort food. So when you combine the two you have a winner in my book!
Speaking of casseroles, if you like this Chicken Taco Casserole, you’ll want to check out a few more of our casserole dishes here.
All the perks of this dish
Besides the fact that this Chicken Taco Casserole is loaded with many of your favorites — black beans, corn, chicken, cheese, and more — there are a few more things to love.
- It’s quick. I don’t know about you, but dinner time can be a challenge if you have a hungry family coming in and out of the kitchen asking “Is dinner ready yet?” over and over. This dish can be made ahead of time so all you have to do is bake it.
- Serve in a single dish. There’s something lovely about minimizing the number of dishes on the table. And in your sink after the meal. One-dish meals like Chicken Taco Casserole and others can be cooked in the same dish you serve in.
- It re-heats well. Leftovers make an already simple meal into two simple meals (or more). But, of course, not all dishes reheat well. Thankfully, this one does! I popped it into the oven at 220 for an hour and it was perfect. Not dry at all!
- It’s a crowd-pleaser. Try it out at your next family gathering, or just let your immediate family sample it and I’m sure they’ll be pleased.
A food by any other name
Essentially, a casserole is the basic definition of any food that is cooked and served in the same dish, with all those yummy ingredients melding together to give it the perfect flavor. Usually it contains some sort of protein, along with vegetables, and sometimes noodles, rice or other ingredients.
In the case of this Chicken Taco Casserole we’ve got you covered with chicken, egg noodles, corn, black beans, salsa and such. If you try this dish with any alterations, I’d love to hear about it in the comments. Beef instead of chicken? Rice in place of noodles? Let me know below!
Make it a Mexican Feast
If you’re looking for more great Mexican recipes try some of these below:
- Taco Stuffed Peppers — This dish gives a whole new look to the traditional Taco Tuesday. Colorful, flavorful and easy to make, you’ll want to add these to your regular dinner rotation.
- Taco Salad — is a staple for anyone looking for a healthy, delicious recipe that can be adjusted to make it unique every time.
- Homemade Queso — Everything is better dipped in cheese! Especially when you use this delicious homemade queso dip recipe.
Chicken Taco Casserole
- 3 TBSPs unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 TBSPs all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk I used skim
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 12 oz egg noodles cooked (I used Reames)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2.5 to 3L baking dish with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, and in a large saucepan, melt the butter. Sauté the garlic for about 30 seconds before adding the flour. Mix in the flour until fully incorporated.
- Very very slowly, mix in the milk. You want to add about a tablespoon of milk at the time, only adding more milk once what you just added is fully incorporated.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salsa. Then mix in the black beans, frozen corn, shredded chicken, egg noodles, and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes and serve warm.