This Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe is the best – the definition of comfort food! It comes together with all the flavors of homemade chicken noodle soup but in a delicious cheesy chicken noodle casserole.
If you are looking for comfort food, it doesn’t get much more comforting than this delicious cheesey chicken noodle casserole. Made from scratch with all of the flavors of homemade chicken noodle soup recipe, even the pickiest of eaters will love this recipe.
I think one of the reasons this casserole, and casseroles in general, are so popular is because something about the flavor of chicken noodle reminds us of being taken care of.
What Makes this Chicken and Noodle Casserole The Best
- The noodles are cooked in chicken broth, which really deepens the flavor of this casserole. I also added a bay leaf in for a great background flavor.
- We reserve the starchy chicken broth the noodles cooked in to make a great base for this casserole and give in an extra creamy quality.
- We use egg noodles in this recipe, which work great with the chicken broth, but also are perfect for the rest of the recipe.
- There are a lot of seasonings in this recipe. Spices and herbs are the key to a great home cooked meal.
- Finally, CHEESE. This recipe has a lot of cheese in it. It really brings home the comfort to this casserole.
Egg Noodles vs. Wheat Pasta
If you have someone in your house who doesn’t like egg noodles, I encourage you to still use them the first time you make this. I have a picky eater in my house who doesn’t like them and still loved this.
That being said, you could use regular pasta in this as well and it will still turn out well.
One of the things I like about cooking is making recipes my own. Here are some suggestions on changes you could make to this creamy chicken noodle casserole
- Egg noodles: As mentioned above, if you don’t like egg noodles, use your favorite pasta! I used wheat pasta in my chicken noodle soup casserole and it is a hit.
- Vegetables: This recipe uses a pretty standard onion, carrot, celery mixture, but if that is not your jam, then sub in things like peas and mushrooms!
- Cheese: My family can’t deal with a thick layer of cheese on top. I know lots of families like more (just look at how popular my cheesy Philly Cheese Steak Casserole is). If your family wants more cheese, pile it on there! Just make sure to wait to add it until right before baking.
This recipe works great for freezing! You can even make a double batch and freeze the second one.
If you are going right from the freezer to the oven, add 15 minutes of baking time. I also suggest that you freeze in a disposable container, as frozen baking dishes in hot ovens often crack.
This Chicken Noodle Casserole is Perfect for Making Ahead
I love this recipe so much and for so many different reasons, but a huge reason is because it makes the perfect dish to gift. Bring it to a sick friend or someone who just had a baby or just someone who needs some extra love.
You can prep the whole thing and then bring them a delicious casserole and they can throw it into the oven when they are ready.
This also makes it a perfect easy weeknight meal! I like prepping this after the kiddos are in bed, and then the next night I can just throw it in the oven for about 30 minutes and we have a delicious home cooked meal!
Other Great Chicken Dinners
Home cooked dinners your family will fall in love with!
If you make this Chicken Noodle Casserole or any of the other dinners I’ve listed in this post please be sure to leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 16 ounces egg noodles cooked in chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth reserved from cooking the noodles (see note 1)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken about three small chicken breasts
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella divided (see note 2)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in chicken stock with two bay leaves thrown into the water according to package directions. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Drain and set aside. Note the instructions on the egg noodles for using in a casserole, you will likely need to cut the boiling time by half.
- Melt the butter over medium low heat in a large sauce pan. Add the celery, onion, carrots and garlic to the pan. Cook until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Add the flour to the pan, mixing it in to make a paste. Very slowly add the reserved cooking stock. Approximately a tablespoon of stock at a time, waiting until the last bit of stock was completely combined before adding the next bit.
- Now slowly add the milk.
- Once all the milk is mixed in, add the parsley and basil. Then season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken, cooked noodles, and one and a half cups of the cheese. Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish and top with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until your desired level of cheese browning.
- Note: If you would like to make this casserole the night before, follow all the steps up until adding the second half of the cheese. Cover and put in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator while the oven preheats. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes.
- If cooking egg noodles in chicken broth seems extravagant or like an added cost you don’t want, you can skip it OR, you can buy chicken stock base. It’s a much more cost effective way to use chicken broth. One small jar yields a lot of chicken broth.
- If you are making this recipe the night before make sure to only use half the cheese while cooking. Save the other half of the cheese for topping the casserole right before you put it in the oven.