This Shamrock Shake tastes just like the original, but skip the line at the drive through and make it at home! It’s so easy!
Grab some vanilla ice cream, milk, and mint extract and let’s make everybody’s favorite McDonald’s Shamrock Shake!
If there is one thing that my husband will pick over and over again to splurge on, it is ice cream. And milkshakes make him weak in the knees. It is easy to forget how simple they are to make at home, but they come together in a snap!
This time of year, one of his favorite things is the Shamrock Shake at McDonald’s! But you only need four ingredients to make them at home! Making them at home is a great way to save money and also control calories and portion sizes.
What is a Shamrock Shake?
Shamrock Shakes are the iconic mint flavored milkshake sold at McDonald’s leading up to St. Patrick’s Day every year. When it first debuted it was lemon lime flavored and made with green sherbet. It has transformed into the delicious shake made with vanilla ice cream and mint flavoring we love today.
How Do you Make a Shamrock Shake?
Grab your blenders, this is an easy one!
- Combine milk and ice cream in the blender. We start with less milk than is called for so you can get the thickness you are looking for.
- Add in mint and food coloring. Finish it off with a little mint extract and some green food coloring.
This recipe will make two big milkshakes. I think this is the perfect amount for an after dinner treat for a whole family.
Mint vs. Peppermint Extract
You will notice that this recipe calls for mint extract. Please do not substitute peppermint extract. They are not the same thing.
Kick it up a Notch
If you really want the true McDonald’s Shamrock Shake experience and it is the middle of June, you can go there and buy some of their ice cream and come home to make this. It will be even closer to the real deal!
If you are looking to change things up, I have two suggestions:
- Looking to cut calories or can’t do dairy? Make my Skinny Shamrock Shake!
- Want to make a grown up version? Try this Boozy Shamrock Shake.
Other St. Patrick’s Day Treats
If you are looking for other treats to make in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, try some of these:
The iconic flavor you get in this milkshake comes from the combination of vanilla ice cream and mint extract. As mentioned above, be sure not to substitute peppermint extract.
I always use skim milk with this recipe. But you should feel free to use whatever milk you have on hand. Start by adding 3/4 of a cup and add more until you get the desired consistency.
You should use your favorite brand of ice cream. It will play a roll in the thickness, so again, start slow with the milk.
If you make my Shamrock Shake or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- 9 -10 drops green food coloring
- Put the ice cream, green food coloring, and mint extract in a blender. Add about 3/4 cup of milk, and begin blending, adding more milk until you get the desired consistency.