The Grasshopper Cocktail is a super simple drink that is only three ingredients. Line your glass with chocolate and take this mint chocolate drink over the top!
A grasshopper walks into a bar and the bartender says to him, “Hey! We have a drink named after you!”
The grasshopper looks at him and says, “You have a drink called ‘Doug??'”
SORRY. I couldn’t resist.
This is one of the first cocktails I made for Nathan. I made it, years ago, as a reward for us wrapping all the kid’s presents on Christmas Eve. I love that years later here we are and he was making it for me to photograph and put up on the blog.
Working together is going great, and mid day cocktails together doesn’t hurt.
Grasshopper Cocktail Ingredients
You only need three ingredients for this simple easy cocktail.
- Creme de Cacao which is a delicious chocolate liqueur. It comes in either clear or chocolate colored. I recommend clear for this drink.
- Creme de Menthe is a mint flavored liqueur. You can find it as a green color or a clear. The green color is beautiful against the chocolate syrup but clear with green food coloring works too.
- Finally, you need heavy cream for that nice creamy taste.
How to Make a Grasshopper Drink
This drink is super easy to make. It is just shaking the above ingredients with ice. But let’s talk about how to make it pretty.
- Hold your coup glass or martini glass at a 45 degree angle. Drizzle chocolate syrup into the glass as you spin the glass by the stem. (You can also do it as is pictured, but you will only get a few swirls at the bottom.)
- Put the glass in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Gently pour the prepared cocktail in the glass and top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
A Note on Chocolate Syrup
Not all chocolate syrup is created equally.
Godiva (not sponsored) makes a chocolate syrup that is the perfect thickness and consistency to stick to the side of the glass and make a good line. I don’t recommend using any other syrup.
If you want to see lining the glass in action, check out the video in my Chocolate Covered Cherry Martini.
With Ice Cream
This cocktail is super easy to make with ice cream. It becomes a delicious boozy milkshake. You just swap out the heavy cream for ice cream.
Combine the following in a blender:
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 ounce green creme de menthe
- 1 ounce creme de cocoa
It is not as strong as the original, but it is delicious!
Other Great Simple Cocktails
If you are looking for more simple cocktails that will feel like dessert here are more you should check out:
Try this recipe, and come back and tell me what you think in the comments! I love hearing from you.
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1 ounce green creme de menthe
- 1 ounce creme de cacao
- Godiva Chocolate Syrup optional
- Whipped Cream optional
- Chocolate Sprinkles optional
- For a fancy presentation, use Godiva Chocolate Syrup to line a coup glass. Set in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the heavy cream, green creme de menthe, and creme de cacao in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake to combine.
- Take the coup glass out of the freezer, and add in the grasshopper. Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. Enjoy!