The Grasshopper Drink is a super simple cocktail that is only three ingredients. Line your glass with chocolate and take this mint chocolate drink over the top!
A grasshopper walks into a bar and the bartender says to him, “Hey! We have a drink named after you!”
The grasshopper looks at him and says, “You have a drink called ‘Doug??'”
SORRY. I couldn’t resist.
This is one of the first cocktails I made for Nathan. I made it, years ago, as a reward for us wrapping all the kid’s presents on Christmas Eve. I love that years later here we are and he was making it for me to photograph and put up on the blog.
Grasshopper Cocktail Ingredients
You only need three ingredients for this simple easy cocktail. As always for the full recipe with all of the measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Creme de Cacao which is a delicious chocolate liqueur. It comes in either clear or chocolate colored. I recommend clear for this drink.
- Creme de Menthe is a mint flavored liqueur. You can find it as a green color or a clear. The green color is beautiful against the chocolate syrup but clear with green food coloring works too.
- Finally, you need heavy cream for that nice creamy taste.
How to Make a Grasshopper Drink
This drink is super easy to make. It is just shaking the above ingredients with ice. But let’s talk about how to make it pretty.
- Garnish the glass with chocolate drizzle. Hold your coup glass or martini glass at a 45 degree angle. Drizzle chocolate syrup into the glass as you spin the glass by the stem. (You can also do it as is pictured, but you will only get a few swirls at the bottom.)
- Let the chocolate set. Put the glass in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the cocktail. In a metal shaker filled with ice, combine green creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and heavy cream. Shake until you can feel the shaker get cold.
- Prepare to serve. Gently pour the prepared cocktail in the glass and top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
A Note on Chocolate Syrup
Not all chocolate syrup is created equally, but there are two brands that I really love for lining glasses with chocolate swirls.
Godiva makes a chocolate syrup that is the perfect thickness and consistency to stick to the side of the glass and make a good line. It is a little thick though, so you can only get one or two swirls. It is what we used here.
Regardless of which you pick, you are going to love the results.
Ice Cream Grasshopper
This cocktail is super easy to make with ice cream. It becomes a delicious boozy milkshake. You just swap out the heavy cream for ice cream.
It is not as strong as the original, but it is delicious!
Combine the following in a blender:
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 ounce green creme de menthe
- 1 ounce creme de cocoa
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1 ounce green creme de menthe
- 1 ounce creme de cacao
- chocolate syrup for garnishing
- whipped cream for garnishing
- chocolate sprinkles for garnishing
- For a fancy presentation, use Godiva Chocolate Syrup to line a coup glass. Set in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the heavy cream, green creme de menthe, and creme de cacao in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake to combine.
- Take the coup glass out of the freezer, and add in the grasshopper. Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. Enjoy! (For instructions on how to make it with ice cream, click here.)