Crockpot Butter Chicken is an easy and simple recipe that your whole family will love! The sauce in this recipe is the perfect flavor, get ready to add this to the menu rotation.
I have had so many people tell me that they tried my Butter Chicken recipe and liked it. So I thought it was time to make a crockpot version. I love crockpot dinners. They make life so simple.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTER CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER
While the stovetop version of this recipe is very simple, we can eliminate the standing over the stove time, and the heat it adds to the kitchen by using our slow cookers.
- Mix melted butter, tomato sauce, tomato paste, minced ginger, garlic, garam masala, salt, and black pepper in the base of the slow cooker until well combined.
- Stir in the diced chicken and onion.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- At the end of the cook time whisk in the lemon juice, yogurt, and half and half.
This recipe is so ridiculously easy. It’s perfect for busy weeknights.
WHAT IS GARAM MASALA
Garam Marsala is a an Indian spice mix. Recipes vary in which spices are in them and how much of each spice, just the way no two Taco Seasoning recipes are the same.
The mixture I have contains the following spices:
- Black Pepper
- Bay Leaves
- Black Cardamom
You should be able to find Garam Masala with the Indian food in your grocery store. I do not have to go to a speciality store to buy mine.
That being said, if you are unable to find it, you can find recipes for it online.
When I make this recipe for my family, I leave out the black pepper. It is the thing that actually adds the most heat to this recipe.
Without the black pepper my kids, who are super sensitive to heat, don’t find this recipe spicy at all.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR BUTTER CHICKEN
My family loves eating this with rice and naan bread. If you are looking to add some vegetables to this dinner, I would highly recommend making some of my roasted cauliflower. It would be good on the side, or with some extra sauce on it.
OTHER GREAT CROCKPOT RECIPES
Crockpot recipes are so great for any time of year. I love making them in the summer because they keep the whole house from being heated up.
If you try this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Crockpot Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless cihcken breasts diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper optional (see note)
- 1 yellow onion diced small
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In the base of the slow cooker, combine the diced chicken, onion, melted butter, tomato sauce, ginger, garlic, garam marsala, chili powder, salt, and black pepper (optional).
- Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, stir in the lemon juice, yogurt, and half and half.
- The sauce will reduce but still be quite saucy. Serve with rice and naan.
Joan Damore says
Really tasty 😋
Beverly Arnold says
This really looks great, and will do as soon as I get garam marsala. For a side dish, I’m thinking a fruit salad, strawberries and bananas, or Watergate Salad.
Cindy Sines says
I,m going to try this recipe butter chicken
Lisa Longley says
I hope you enjoy it Cindy!
We love this recipe
Lisa Longley says
So glad to hear that, Claire! Thank you for taking the time to let me know!
Can you use plain Greek yogurt in place of regular plain yogurt?
Lisa Longley says
Yup! That will work great!