We sat outside for the first time and had a grilled dinner the other night. I had forgotten how much I love outside eating in the summer time. The warm breeze and the birds chirping does something for my soul.
The next time you plan on grilling out, grab all the ingredients for this amazing Grilled Pineapple Salsa. Not only does it make a great dip and appetizer, it is the perfect topping for grilled steak, grilled chicken, and even tacos!
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- Cut your pineapple into spears. I have a whole tutorial with step by step photos for cutting pineapple. You end up with these nice thick spears that are perfect for grilling.
- Grill the pineapple. Throw the pineapple spears on a greased grill (or indoor grill pan) and grill for about three minutes on each side. The pineapple will change in color from bright yellow to a deeper yellow brown.
- Dice and combine ingredients. Cut up the grilled pineapple as well as the other ingredients. Toss everything to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. As with all cooking, at this point, you should taste the recipe and adjust. You may decide you need a little more lime juice to balance the sweetness of the pineapple or a pinch more salt.
How to tell if a Pineapple is Ripe
- Look at the leaves. It should have mostly green fresh leaves. If the majority are brown and wilted, keep walking.
- Squeeze the pineapple. It should have a slight give to it, not too firm or too soft.
- Smell the bottom. You want it to have a slightly sweet smell.
- Look at the eyes (the hexagon looking shapes on the skin). The eyes should be bigger, yellow and green, free from mold, and consistent in size.
Serving Grilled Pineapple Salsa
This recipe is great just to use as a dip, appetizer, or a light healthy snack. I love eating it with lime flavored tortilla chips! But, I could probably eat it all summer in all these different ways.
- It makes a great topping for grilled meat. I love it on top of grilled flank steak and I have a whole grilled chicken recipe that uses pineapple salsa.
- As mentioned above, I think it is amazing on tacos. It is perfect with my shrimp tacos but would be great on my chicken tacos too.
- If you really want to step outside of your comfort zone, throw it on some hamburgers!
If you make this grilled pineapple salsa recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 small pineapple
- 1 large jalapeno minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut the pineapple into spheres. Place on a preheated and greased grill. Grill for three minutes on each side.
- Combine the diced pineapple, minced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, and diced red onion in a large bowl.
- Add the lime juice and salt. Stir to combine. Taste and add more cilantro, salt, or lime juice to fit your taste.
- Eat right away, or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
- While this recipe is best right away, it can be made the day before.