Skip the takeout and make the best Grilled Chicken Sandwich recipe right at home. Made with a delicious marinade and amazing Honey BBQ sauce recipe, your family will fall in love with this chicken sandwich.
If you are on the hunt for more great grilling options this summer, let me introduce you to one of my favorites. This Grilled Chicken Sandwich fills all your drive through cravings, but is made at home and so much better.
One of the things I love most about this recipe is how quickly it comes together. The marinade for this grilled chicken sandwich is so quick and easy to whip up, making this a great weeknight meal.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Marinade
The marinade for this chicken sandwich is simple and I bet you already have all the ingredients at home.
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
How Long to Marinate Chicken
I think there is a common misconception out there that the longer you marinate something the better the flavor will be.
You actually want to aim for 1 hour to 24 hours. If you go longer than 24 hours, the meat will begin to break down too much, and you will have a gummy unpleasant texture.
In a pinch, you can marinate for just 20 minutes.
Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe
This sauce is ridiculously good and when you top your chicken sandwich with it, it will make it taste like a Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich! It also only requires a few ingredients.
- Yellow Mustard
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
These are all things that I think most pantries have. It is so worth the five minutes or so it takes to make this sauce, and it will keep in your refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Pro Tip! Double the recipe for the sauce and use it for dipping fries!
How to Make the Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Cut your chicken breasts in half in width wise (see below). Chicken breasts come so big these days, that you will have a hearty sandwich with half the breast, and this saves us from pounding it.
- Marinate the chicken for 1 to 24 hours.
- Whisk together the best chicken sandwich sauce.
- Grill your chicken for 3 minutes on each side.
- Put together your awesome sandwiches.
How to Cut Your Chicken into Fillets
As mentioned above, with how big chicken breasts come these days, I like to just cut them in half width wise. Many one pound packages come with two breasts to a package. By cutting them in half you get four sandwiches.
- Find a sharp knife.
- Place your hand on top of the chicken breast.
- Very carefully, cut it in half width wise, cutting all the way through.
As my husband said when I explained this to him, “Ooooooh, like you would cut a hamburger bun!”
What to Serve It With
Here are a few suggestions for sides to go with this chicken sandwich:
- Corn Salad: This salad could be made the night before with the marinade, which would make it a very quick dinner.
- Cucumber Tomato Salad: This recipe is one of my summer favorites, and even my picky eaters love it.
- Three Bean Salad: Another great summer side dish, this one gets better as it sits in the refrigerator.
Other Great Grilled Dinners
If your family is looking for more great recipes to make on the grill check out some of our family’s favorites.
If you make this Grilled Chicken Sandwich or any of my other recipes, please come back and tell me what you think!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1 pound chicken breasts sliced in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (you can use light mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Whisk all the ingredients for the marinade together and pour into a reusable container.
- Cut the chicken breasts width wise, making thin fillets. (Learn how to to cut a chicken breast into fillets in the post.) Add the chicken to the container with the marinade and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 24 hours (in a pinch you can cut this to 30 minutes).
- Whisk together the ingredients for the honey bbq sauce.
- Lightly grease your grill and grill the chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side over low heat or until the register 165 degrees internally.
- Serve on a bun, top the chicken with the Honey BBQ Sauce and your other favorite toppings. I recommend lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and red onions.