Grilled Flank Steak is such an easy delicious dinner. It is wonderful with so many different sides, and is sure to be a hit with your family.
Have you guys been taking advantage of grill season like us? I can’t stop coming up with great grilling recipes for you, and today I have this amazing Grilled Flank Steak.
I love this recipe so much because the marinade is ridiculously simple but still makes for the most tender steak recipe. We have an indoor grill pan, so this is a recipe that I enjoy all year long!
What is Flank Steak
A flank steak is a lean or non fatty cut of beef. It is a thin cut, and is best when marinated, then grilled. After grilling, you want to cut thin pieces against the grain.
The Difference Between Skirt Steak and Flank Steak
There are recipes out there that call for flank steak and skirt steak interchangeably – like my steak fajitas. This often works, but they are two different cuts of meat, from two different parts of the underside of the cow.
Skirt Steak has a stronger beef flavor, and takes marinade better than a flank steak. On the other hand, it has tougher muscles and should only be cooked to rare or medium rare.
Both cuts should be cooked over high heat for a short amount of time, watching the internal temperature of the meat closely.
Marinating Flank Steak
As mentioned above, flank steak needs to be marinated before cooking. It is important to marinate your steak for long enough that the acid in the lime juice starts to tenderize the meat. That said, it is possible to marinate your meat for too long, making it chewy. Marinate the flank steak between 1 hour and 24 hours.
This recipes brings together a really simple marinade that is only four ingredients.
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
My favorite way to eat this recipe is when topping it with Pineapple Salsa. The sweetness of the salsa ties into the lime juice of the marinated meat perfectly.
How To Grill Flank Steak
After you marinate the flank steak, it is ready to throw on the grill. The total grill time for flank steak is about 6 to 8 minutes, making this a great fast dinner.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, discarding the extra.
- Place the meat on the grill, and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- Cut against the grain in thin slices.
As this is a flank steak, it can handle being cooked anywhere from rare to well done.
Recipes to Make to Serve with Grilled Flank Steak
If you make this Grilled Flank Steak Recipe or any of my other recipes, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Meat Thermometer: I like this one when grilling because it is perfectly fine to leave in it.
A Good Knife: This is my favorite kitchen knife and it worked perfectly for cutting this steak.
A Container to Marinate: I like using glass reusable containers when marinating meat. They are easy to clean and reusable.
Grilled Flank Steak
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the steak and the marinade to a reausable container. Mix around to make sure all sides of the steak are covered by marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Place the meat on the grill, discarding the left over marinade. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- This recipe over the top by serving it with my pineapple salsa.