Haystack Cookies are such a fun easy no bake treat. Grab the kids to make this haystack recipe, they will love it!
Earlier this month, I shared with you my Magic Bar Recipe and talked about Quinn doing a presentation on the family tradition of baking for people.
The night before her presentation – as we were making Mint Oreo Bark together – she told me she was so nervous. Together we said a little prayer to my mom asking my mom to be there in the room with her as she did it. (I’ve never been more proud of myself for not sobbing in front of my kid.)
For me, it was another example of how cooking together brings people together. Food is magical, I swear. So, I’m suggesting you make these Haystack Cookies with your kids and experience the magic.
HOW TO MAKE HAYSTACKS
This is the perfect recipe to make with kids because it is so easy.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: peanuts, marshmallows, and chow mien noodles.
- Get a separate bowl to melt the butterscotch and chocolate chips together.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until it is all coated.
- Pull out about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time and put it on wax paper.
- Allow to cool and dry. Enjoy!
VARIATIONS ON HAYSTACK COOKIES
There are about as many ways to make this haystack recipe as there are people making it.
I love the combination of butterscotch chips and chocolate chips, but you could go with all chocolate chips.
You could also go with chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
If you don’t love marshmallows or peanuts aren’t your thing, you can leave them out. You could also replace one with more of the other.
Peanuts can also be replaced with different kinds of nuts.
OTHER NO BAKE TREATS
If you are doing a cookie making day with your family these haystacks are a great choice because they are so fast. You could also make some of these other great quick no bake treats:
If you make these haystacks or any of my other treats let me know!
I am truly honored to be part of your holiday baking and would love to see what you are up to on Instagram. Tag me at @lisawineandglue!
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Line baking sheets with wax paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the peanuts, marshmallows, and chow mein noodles.
- In a smaller, microwave safe mixing bowl, mix together the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir very well. Microwave again for 30 seconds and stir really well. (Resist the urge to over microwave as it is easy to overheat the chocolate.) If necessary microwave for another 30 seconds, stirring until the chocolate is smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the dry ingredients and mix very well to combine.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup sized scoops onto the wax lined baking sheets. Allow to cool. Eat right away or store in an air tight container for up to two weeks.