These Homemade Granola Bars can be made in about 10 minutes and they are a delicious snack that is perfect for when you are on the go!
If your family is just as busy as ours, you know that having delicious snacks that your kids can grab as they run out the door to soccer practice is important. I love having the ability to make those snacks from scratch so I know exactly what is in them.
These easy to make granola bars totally fit the bill. They come together with easy to find ingredients that are easy to keep in your pantry anytime the craving for chewy granola bars strikes.
How to Make Homemade Granola Bars
- Line a small baking dish with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Combine all your dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Bring your wet ingredients to a simmer and let it thicken up.
- Mix them together and press itnto the pan.
- Let them set, cut them up, and et them!
Substitutions and Variations
- Swap the peanut butter for almond butter or sun butter.
- Leave out the dried cranberries and put in raisins instead.
- Take out half of the chocolate chips and put in finely chopped peanuts.
- Exchange the cereal for more oats.
Quick Cooking Oats for Granola Bars
Quick cooking oats are just old fashioned oats that have been finely chopped. Their smaller size is what makes them cook quickly.
We love using them in this recipe because their small size is part of what makes the bars so chewy. If you only have Old Fashioned Oats you could run them through your blender. You could also just use them as is and know that the granola bars will be slightly less chewy.
Can this be made without the brown sugar?
Unfortunately, no. We do not recommend making this without the brown sugar. The boiled brown sugar is what helps hold the bars together.
Can this be made without peanut butter?
If you have a peanut butter allergy in your house, you could exchange the peanut butter for almond butter or sun butter.
Are these homemade granola bars gluten free?
This recipe is naturally gluten free, but please double check the oats you use to ensure that they weren’t made in a facility that also processes ingredients containing gluten.
Other Great Healthy Snacks
Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
- 2 cups quick cooking oats not old fashioned
- 1/2 cup O shaped cereal
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place foil in an 8 by 8 baking dish. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the quick cooking oats, cereal, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, combine the honey, butter, brown sugar, peanut butter, vanilla and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about five minutes.
- Pour the liquid over the mixture in the large bowl and stir to combine. Pour it into the square baking dish and push down to fill it evenly. Sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips.
- Cover and allow to cool for four hours or overnight.
- Remove from the pan and cut into equal pieces. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.