This Jello Shot recipe is perfect for your next party! Easy to make and easier to eat, these are great to make in whatever colors match your party, holiday, or game day celebration.
Jello Shots make such a great party recipe because they are so easy to make and even easier to eat. Not only can you make these in multiple flavors with different types of alcohol, we have some ideas below for how to turn some of your favorite classic cocktails into jello shots.
Jello Shot Ingredients
This jello shots recipe comes together with just three ingredients (plus some ice). Here is a bit about each thing you will need.
- Jello: You will need a three-ounce box of gelatin mix powder, which is the most common size you will find at your grocery store. The flavor and color of the jello shots will be the flavor of jello you get, so choose one (or multiple) that you like. If you want to make multiple flavors and colors of jello shots, I would recommend making each kind as a batch individually as the recipe calls for.
- Vodka: Vodka is the most common liquor in jello shots, but you could also use rum or tequila. A top-shelf vodka isn’t needed for this recipe because the fruity and sweet flavor of the jello will balance it out, so something midlevel like Tito’s would work great.
- Boiling water: this is crucial for the jello setting up.
Vodka to Water Ratio in Jello Shots
If you are tempted to add more vodka to these, it can be done. You will need to adjust the amount of boiling water you use though so that you get the correct amount of liquid and these set properly.
These are delicious as is, but aren’t overly strong. To make them stronger, use 3/4 cup boiling water and 1 cup vodka.
How to Make Jello Shots With Vodka
This vodka jello shots recipe comes together in a few simple steps and about 10 minutes of hands-on time. For the full recipe including all measurements, please scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Mix jello mix and boiling water until the jello is dissolved.
- Combine vodka and ice. Add your vodka to a glass measuring cup, and add ice until it reaches the 1 1/4 cup mark.
- Combine ingredients. Add the vodka and ice to the jello and water mixture. Stir until the ice cubes are melted.
- Pour into shot cups and refrigerate until set.
Jello Shot Cups
These little shot cups are plastic and disposable, making them perfect for this jello shot recipe. They also come with lids which makes them great for storing and transporting.
Tips and Variations
- Use flavored vodka. Choose a flavor that compliments your flavor of jello. Vanilla vodka and orange jello or strawberry jello and watermelon vodka would both be delicious!
- Use a different liquor. Just be sure to follow the measurements listed in the recipe card for the perfect ratio. Check out the section below for some fun ideas.
- Use a baking sheet. Set your cups on a baking sheet to catch spills and allow for easy transfer to the refrigerator. For easy pouring, use a pitcher or glass measuring cup with a thin spout.
- Allow for plenty of setting time. While these vodka jello shots should set in about an hour and a half, I recommend planning to give them a bit more time if you are making them for a party. Or, make them the night before for a stress-free party day!
- Top with whipped cream. These are great on their own but super fun when topped with some of our stabilized whipped cream.
Make Your Favorite Cocktails into Jello Shots
As mentioned above, you can use different alcohol in jello shots. If you want to transform some of your favorite cocktails into jello shots you can do that too! Use the alcohol and jello recommendations below with the ice and boiling water called for int he recipe card.
- Margarita Jello Shots: Use 1/2 cup tequila and 1/4 cup triple sec with Lime Jello.
- Pina Colada Jello Shots: Use 3/4 cup coconut rum with Island Pineapple Jello.
- Moscow Mule Jello Shots: Use 1/2 cup vodka and 1/4 cup ginger beer with Lime Jello.
- Mimosa Jello Shots: Use 1 cup sparkling wine (taking the boiling water down to 3/4 cup) with Orange Jello.
Jello shots will last covered in the refrigerator for up to four days.
This jello shots recipe will set in about an hour and a half. To play it safe, I would plan on giving them two hours to fully set.
Most commonly vodka is used because its clean and neutral flavor works well with the fruity flavor of jello. You could also use rum or tequila, really anything is fair game.
This recipe will make 16 two-ounce jello shots.
Other Cocktail Recipes
- This Pina Colada Rum Punch is made in about five minutes with only four ingredients. Hello, tropical vacation in a glass!
- For a refreshing and frozen cocktail, try this Strawberry Mango Margarita.
- If you like margaritas you will love this Paloma Recipe!
If you try this jello shot recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
Jello Shot Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water (236.58 ml)
- 3 ounces flavored jello (85 grams)
- 3/4 cup vodka or other liquor (177.44 ml)
- Mix the jello and the boiling water until the jello is just dissolved.3 ounces flavored jello, 1 cup boiling water
- In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, add 3/4 cup of vodka. Then add ice until it reaches the 1 1/4 cup mark.3/4 cup vodka
- Add the vodka and ice to the jello and water mixture. Stir until the ice cubes are melted.
- Pour the mixture into plastic shot glasses. Refrigerate until solidified (about 1 1/2 hours). Serve and enjoy!